AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put together my HTPC using the Antec Fusion box with this board. I am trying to set it up while hooked up to my 50" plasma. I am using a VGA to Component Video cable. I am not able to get anything to show up on my screen. When I power on, the screen stays black. Everything seems to power on, the fans, harddrive, blu-ray drive, etc. I followed instructions on another thread to clear the CMOS, but that hasn't fixed anything. I tried swapping my memory modules around and also going to 1, and that did nothing. I am trying to figure out the next steps in troubleshooting this. I am planning to use the onboard video of the card, so i don't have a graphics card. Do I need to have a normal monitor plugged in via VGA to get started? That doesn't make sense to me, but I'm not sure what else to try short of returning the board for a new one.

Thanks,

ejc

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
I suspect that you are using a VGA to RGB component since RGB is a subset of the VGA PC interface and that your HDTV only accepts YPrPb component which is different. This often gets confused since they can use the samd Red, Green and Blue RCA connector cables.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response Walford... do you have any other ideas for how I can connect the HTPC to my plasma to get something to show up? I tried a DVI adapter, that didn't work. I tried connecting HDMI, but that didn't work -- I suspect that I need to load the HDMI drivers before it will work. Is there some other sort of VGA adapter I should try? My plasma only takes HDMI, component video, coax, RCA video (yellow wire), and S-Video.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
A regular DVI-->HDMI adapter should work just fine. You should need to load any drivers for atleast the POST screen to show up.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejc00 /forum/post/14179760

Thanks for the response Walford... do you have any other ideas for how I can connect the HTPC to my plasma to get something to show up? I tried a DVI adapter, that didn't work. I tried connecting HDMI, but that didn't work -- I suspect that I need to load the HDMI drivers before it will work. Is there some other sort of VGA adapter I should try? My plasma only takes HDMI, component video, coax, RCA video (yellow wire), and S-Video.

What interfaces do you currently have available to output from your system other then VGA?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your continued help... I have narrowed down that the card doesn't seem to be putting out a signal at all. I got a PC-to-TV converter to take a VGA signal and connect to my TV via S-Video. When I connect my laptop to the converter, I am able to get a picture on my TV. When I connect my HTPC to the converter, the TV doesn't get a signal. I'm wondering if my board isn't good... I also saw that someone had problems with OCZ RAM, which is what I'm running. I also know that my processor was an open-box item. Is there a way to narrow down which of these may be causing the problem?

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
What resolution are you trying to use with the pc-tv scan converter box?

It may not accept anyting over 800x600 or 1024x768.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can't seem to change the resolution using the converter. Again, when I plug my laptop in, it works fine without adjusting anything. Is the problem that my laptop is pushing out a different resolution that what the HTPC is putting out and the HTPC resolution may be incompatible with my TV?

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
No you can not change the resolution with the converter the quesstion is what resolution is PC dekstop set to on the HTPC.

If you start up in F8 safe mode the converter will probably work with the converter since safe mode uses 800x600 resolution. While in safe mode you can change you normal resolution for the next time you boot normally.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not able to see anything to try to get into safe mode. I'm also not able to get my keyboard (wireless via usb) to connect to the computer.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicelittle /forum/post/14180990

Find a computer monitor. Any one with VGA will do. That will be

the quickest way to see if you have a bad board.

Agreed try this method first to rule out a bad motherboard.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts