AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, this is my first post, so forgive me if I didn't put this in the right place, but I figured someone here could help me.

I have a now four-year-old, recently-upgraded Gateway which came with a Boston Acoustics satellite/subwoofer system [model number BA735]. Recently I bought a Viewsonic Nextvision video processor [model N4] so I could hook up my Playstation 2 to it, with an eye towards possibly hooking up cable TV to my computer at some point in the future.

I got it hooked up easily enough, with the exception of my speakers. Since I can't post URLs or pictures yet I guess I'll just describe the BA735. It's simple enough: two smallish PC speakers with a subwoofer, the subwoofer contains the plug-ins for the 12-volt AC/DC cable, "control out" port leading to the PC, and the "digital in" port that leads to the speakers.

The manual doesn't do a good job of illustrating exactly which cords go where, so I hooked up what I though was the right connection, but it ends up with "control out" on the subwoofer connected to audio out on the video processor, and "audio out" on the back of my Gateway PC tower connected to "audio in" on the back of the video processor. This obvisouly can't be correct, since I can change the volume on the video processor, but I get no sound. Yes, sound did work fine (all drivers up to date) before connecting this to my computer, and the video with both my PC and the PS2 (in use with the my monitor) are working just fine.

Problem is I hooked everything up according to how it appeared in the user's manual. However, the manual's illustration only pictures standard PC speakers with no subwoofer, and subwoofers are something I'm not too familiar with.

I'm sorry if this is long-winded, but I like to think of myself as pretty decent with A/V stuff, so I'm a bit frustrated.

Do I need to somehow make two connections to my PC because of the subwoofer?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Tristan

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
I would need more info. If you want to call me at 315-538-9806 when you have moment (warning I'm on the phone a lot today) I can try and walk you through it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Turk
I would need more info. If you want to call me at 315-538-9806 when you have moment (warning I'm on the phone a lot today) I can try and walk you through it.
You know I was just about to post that I couldn't get a hold of you and that I'd try again tomorrow, but I figured it out :D

I was under the mistaken belief that I needed connections to both "audio in" and "audio out" jacks on my video processor and just the "audio out" jack on my PC (this was how it appeared in the illustration in the manual).

Turns out what I needed to do was precisely the other way around from the manual. I needed connections to both the audio in and out jacks on the back of my PC, and just the "audio out' jack on the video processor.

So I got it done. Took two days and I feel a bit dumber, but oh well.

Thank you very much for the help offer though. I was about to start pulling hair out earlier this afternoon.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oferlaor
wrong forum - should be in the receiver forum.
Give the guy a break ;-) He's new.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by oferlaor
wrong forum - should be in the receiver forum.
Yeah. Sorry about that. Like I wrote, I wasn't sure if I'd put my thread in the right place...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.