AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with my Toshiba DST-3000 and TN50X81 set-up. I'd like to know how/if I can easily tell whether the problem is in my STB or the TV before I commit to calling a repairman. Any help would be appreciated.

Symptoms ONLY occur when using 1080i mode of the STB:

1) On-screen menu is curved on all sides, with an especially bad "bowing" on top-right and bottom-right corners.

2) In letterboxed movies on DirecTV, the top and bottom edges of the viewable image are noticeably "wavy" across the width of the screen, with the up-turn and down-turn occuring on the right side as described in (1).

·
Registered
96 Posts
gindie

Since it only happens in 1080i mode, it could be either the box or the set. (Big help eh?) I would try to borrow another stb and see if the problem remains, this would be the easiest way to determine if it is the box or tv. I would try to get a different brand stb also. If the problem remains, probably something in the tv. If the problem goes away, it could be the stb or your tv doesn't like your stb.

John

·
Registered
464 Posts
My TN55x81 does the same thing. I called Toshiba and they were very nice and helpful, I nearly had a stroke! Most companies support stinks. Anyway, Tosh gave me 2 options on servicers to call, I called the one nearest me. When the tech arrived and put the set into service menu my suspicions were confirmed. The convergence pattern on the left side and middle of the screen were perfect straight lines. On the right side it appeared to be on acid, or drunk! Bothe verticle and hortzontal lines were bowed and wavy. The tech couldn't get then straight, but did reduce the amount of waviness. He was here two hours! He finally said "it's about as good as they get" and started to pack up and leave. I told him that I really would like a TV that performed correctly and he replied I'd have to call Toshiba again and they could pick up the set and take it to the shop for a couple of weeks! Yikes! I'm just waiting to go on vacation so I won't be without for too long.

I wish I could tell you what the exact prroblem is but they haven't figured mine out yet!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.