AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a bit of lark, I recently purchased a Xenarc 700TSV touchscreen monitor as a front-end for media server running the Lobby suite. But I've run into a bit of trouble with getting the touchscreen functioning - it seems that no matter what I do, I get no response to the USB interface. I load the touchscreen software and latest drivers in the proper sequence, following the instructions to the letter, but the computer never seems to recognize the USB cable. Acc'd to the instructions, plugging in the USB cable is supposed to trigger the "Found New Hardware" message, giving me an opportunity to load the specific USB drivers. But the message never appears, no matter what sequence of events I follow.

Is there any way to force it to recognize the USB cable?

Can I manually install the USB drivers?

The PC has no problem with recognizing other USB devices, such as my Dell Axim cradle, printer, or USB-UIRT, etc.

Any suggestions on this?

Thanks,

Ken

·
Registered
430 Posts
Make sure you are plugging it directly into the back of the computer and not through a hub, port replicator, etc.

If you are running a VIA chipset, this may be the problem. Buy a pci usb card from someone like I/O Gear so you can bypass the VIA chipset.

If you are running Intel then try this:

Go into your device manager-

Under Universal Serial Bus Controllers remove each listing.

Restart without the device plugged in.

There was a problem with WindowsXP and SP1 and certain USB controllers. Removing them and letting Windows reinstall them fixes it.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried uninstalling the USB controllers in Device Manager and rebooting; they all reinstalled fine, and recognized all of my other USB devices fine, but failed to recognize the touchscreen controller.

I'm running a VIA chipset, so I'll have to give your suggestion of using a USB card a try.

Thanks for the suggestions, and if you have any other ideas, let me know!

I'll also try to reach Xenarc's tech support; perhaps there is a problem with my USB cable.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Try it on another computer if you can, before buying a pci usb controller. You may just have a bad touchscreen monitor.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I fear that may be the problem; I could not get it to install on my recently-built HTPC (Asus P4PE, 2.8 GHz Pentium, etc., with the latest drivers and bios). I actually think the problem is with the cable; the VGA cable, USB cable, and a/v cables are all heat-shrinked together. My guess is that the USB cable is not adequately connected or incorrectly connected. I'll be calling Xenarc tech support in the morning.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I received a very prompt and polite reply from Xenarc tech support saying that they had received a bad batch of cables from their supplier. He even explained how to cut the shrink wrap and reattach the USB cable to the cable coming from the monitor. Because I routinely build my own audio cables, I'm not afraid to try this. Of course, I can always RMA it if I blow it!

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Does the Xenarc also have a PS2 output ??

I was thinking of one of these for a carputer but the libretto iam using does not have a USB port...

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Phat:

Not that I know of. The driver software has a check box for PS2, but the cable does not have PS2 plugs. I seem to remember seeing a PS2 to USB convertor somewhere, but I suspect that it converts PS2 to USB, rather than the other way around. You could email their helpful tech support, or try a source like kvm-switches-online.com for an adapter.

- Ken

·
Registered
194 Posts
Ken,

Did you finish config your touchscreen to control your htpc?

If so please provide details on config, i.e. which ports which screen is attached, what resolutions, how it is config in windows, etc....

Also, what additional control software you may be using if any....

Thanks

STan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.