AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, some shows recorded on my UTV HD don't play back correctly. They'll hesitate, jump, skip, etc., with bad loss of audio and video. This first showed up when playing back a show that had been on the HD for 9 months, and had not been played in maybe 7 months. I erased that show. Now, some of the other shows (all recorded within the last week) are doing the same thing.

Is this a problem with the HD? Any fixes?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Hi,

You UTV may just need to be rebooted.

Attempt a reset of the UTV... (Reset code 12357 should work or pull the plug for a few minutes)

You might also wish to let your UTV cool down for a time while you have it unplugged. (A few hours or overnight)

Always make sure your UTV is kept cool. Keep in the open... Leave plenty of space around all sides... try and elevate the bottom of the unit to allow better air flow (the bottom is were almost ALL HEAT is generated on a UTV).

Keep vents open and clean of obstructions. Make sure the internal fan is working too.

There is debate for some here that say Heat isn't a big deal and others that say it is Ultimate Death. Take a few steps of prevention and avoid heat build up. Your UTV might fail or live a lifetime regardless what you do, but less heat is good in my book.

Later,

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
David, Thanks! Last night I cleaned out the are where the UTV is located. I raised up the shelf above it, and put bottle caps under it to raise it. I also cleared away the sides of DVD's etc. The fan is working. Let's hope it doesn't happen again. If so, how do I enter the reset code you mentioned? Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
hi,

Glad the cooling tips helped. Not everyone realizes how warm UTVs get...

To enter the code you place the UTV in "standby/off" mode... Green light off hard drive and fan running... From the UTV remote enter the code... The UTV should flash after receiving the code.

It should reset/reboot... After it stops... You can power "ON" like normal...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Also, I personally haven't tried it without doing this, but I've read everywhere that you have to hit menu 3 times before entering the code while the unit is off (ie. turn unit off, type menu+menu+menu+reset code).

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Hi,

You don't need to enter menu/options (RCA/Sony) button 3 times before entering the code.

The menu/options button is optional when entering UTV codes...

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a similar problem in that the hesitation, jumping and skipping happens when it damn well feels like it viewing playback or direct. I've tested ribbon cables from both HD and PS, reset the unit with various codes and still without warning, it resets. The one thing I've noticed, "History" shows power failures. I'm on a Tripplite UPS and unless there's a problem the UPS, I'm torn between thinking there's a problem with the Power Supply or could the Hard Driving be going bad? Anyone have any thoughts?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.