AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what else can be done to prevent playback problems with the JVC HM-DH30000 other than the 3 points that i have mentioned below

1) Use a rewinder or other VCR to rewind the tapes

Quote:
" The pinch roller retracts and normally does not spin or touch the tape during rewind. However, it does sit very close to the tape, I think no more than a few thousandths of an inch. It wouldn't take much in the way of mis-adjustment or wear to cause the roller to touch, and that could cause the squeaking sound. It could also damage the magnetic surface of the tape.
2) Manually clean the VCR yourself after......hours use, or use a wet cleaning tape

http://www.diyvcrparts.com/clean.html

Quote:
JVC has later recommended the use of a (panasonic) wet cleaning tape, instead of their DVHS dry cleaning tape when japanese users reported problems.
3) Only use D-VHS tapes in the unit (more controversial!)

Quote:
The JVC tape factory has cleary stated that usual SVHS tapes will clog the heads & transport mechanism, and will scratch the digital heads over time, as SVHS has a more rough surface than DVHS tapes.

I have oredered a JVC HM-DH30000 in order to watch HD content over here in europe and i am suprised that there are so many problems with this unit.

For Pal recording i am using also a D-VHS VCR (Philips VR20, which is actually JVC build) and i have never had any problems. Also Digital recordings on S-VHS tapes has caused no problems for me.

I am by the way very interested in US HD broadcast. If there is someone

out there who is interested in European Satellite Content (PAL) please drop me a line

Ronald

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
In terms of tape, I only use two basic type, and new. This atleast has solved my first major capstan clogs which were the old SVHS tape.

I would also never play anthing by HD material, meaning, dont use this deck as a general purchase VCR. Go buy a 100 buck one for that.

dave

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Re Factory says svhs tapes.. clogging transport mechanism. But isn't the unit designed to playback and record svhs? So as far as teh transport mechanism is concerned they should have done testing with svhs tapes and designed the mechanisms to work properly when svhs tapes are used. Sounds like excuses to me. lousy ones at that. OR is it only the mits that is meant to playback and record in svhs?

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Why do you assume that is an excuse? People on AVS have speculated the SVHS tapes are causing one of the most common problems among those who use the deck for recording. Of course the deck should work fine with these tapes, and I hope JVC will remedy the situation. But an indication this is the source of one significant problem is good for those of us who can now avoid using SVHS tapes. Saving money on media isn't worth wrecking a $1,000 deck.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Simple, Since jvc says they knows that svhs tapes are different, then why did they make a deck made to use them, fail when they are used.. It just strikes me as too convent.. For them to say oh it is because of teh svhs tapes...

And more importantly I don't believe that only svhs tapes are teh problem with the transport mechanisms. OR have I missed something, and people that use only dvhs tapes are not having the problem?

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Tony,

I don't think there is ONE problem with the JVC decks. It appears there may be separate problems that different people are experiencing. One of them I believe is related to the use of SVHS tapes.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Sorry, but this doesnt make any sense to me. The pinch roller is the same one they use on their SVHS decks. There specs say it plays all VHS tapes.

If they are putting in writing this is true, then, just thinking out loud, returning our decks for our money because it doesnt meet their written specs would seem fair!

Again, as this been received in writing from JVC. If so, or when have, then I will call the JVC engr mgr and talk about it. But, what the facts before I do this.

dave

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by h2ofun
In terms of tape, I only use two basic type, and new. This atleast has solved my first major capstan clogs which were the old SVHS tape.

I would also never play anthing by HD material, meaning, dont use this deck as a general purchase VCR. Go buy a 100 buck one for that.

dave
Vanns.com has a basic SVHS JVC deck for $89.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
If JVC stated in their specs the deck ONLY played DVHS tapes, I would have had no choice but to purchase the MIts deck then. I need to be able record HD on DVHS and SVHS tape, just as I believe their specs say?

Dave

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Quote:
People on AVS have speculated the SVHS tapes are causing one of the most common problems among those who use the deck for recording.
X-Factor, how many times are going to say what is an absolute FALSEHOOD? A number of people have reported their deck failing, even though it was being fed ONLY the D-VHS type of tapes.

S-VHS and VHS tapes have absolutely nothing to do with this.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Matt,

How many times do I have to say there likely is more than one problem that is affecting the decks? I'm not the only person who believes the tapes may be the cause of one of the problems. Get off my a$$ already.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Your posts, for about a week, have been very rude (and growing increasingly so). And there may be more than one problem with this deck, but the ridiculous "You can't play S-VHS tapes" scenario is just that: ridiculous (and proven so).

To subscribe to your theory, I guess that mean you cannot even play VHS tapes, which are the most low end??? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Read my post from yesterday at 9:27pm. I said it was ridiculous that SVHS tapes do not work properly with this deck (assuming that is one of the problems). I have stated that JVC must remedy the problem.

Given the speculation that S-VHS tapes may be the source of one problem, I'm NOT going to use them in my deck. I don't understand why you have a problem with that. If a fix is made, I will ship my deck back to JVC so my deck works as advertised. Until then, I'm not going to do anything that may cause the problems in other decks to occur in mine. How is that so antagonistic?

And you are correct about VHS tapes -- I don't play those either.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Quote:
Read my post from yesterday at 9:27pm. I said it was ridiculous that SVHS tapes do not work properly with this deck (assuming that is one of the problems). I have stated that JVC must remedy the problem.
OK, you go on believing whatever it is you want to believe. That's your choice. Knock yourself out.

But people reading this should know that there are some with this deck that have recorded on hundreds of SVHS tapes and never had an issue. There are also some who have only used D-VHS and their decks are $1200 paper weights that spend all their time in New Jersey with JVC engineering and service.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Matt,

Just out of curiosity, why did you hammer me for making the SVHS reference when Dave said the same thing. He said SVHS tapes were causing "major capstan clogs." He recommended against using these types of tapes. Why don't you call him an idiot, like you have inferred of me?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.