AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I REALLY hope you can help me here. I just installed a new projector and now I am having a problem with my receiver (I think it's the receiver). Receiver was working just fine before installing new projector. Here's the problem:

1) I can watch TV (Directv) just fine if I do a complete factory reset to the projector, but if I try to go to another input such as a blu-ray player then I get a picture for about 3 seconds then the screen goes black. If I try to go back to TV from the Blu-ray input then I get a blank screen again and can not get a TV picture unless I do a factory reset again on the projector. Once I do that I get the TV picture back but I still can not get a picture from any of my other inputs for more than 3 seconds.

2) I have done a factory reset on both receiver and projector with no luck as mentioned above. Is my problem with the projector or with receiver, is there a test I can do to see which one it is? Is there a test to do to see if my HDMI board, god forbid, has gone bad?

Any help or input you can share will be greatly appreciated. I did not go to bed last night due to this stupid problem, couldn't sleep with something like this on my mind. Thank you so much for your iand hopefully encouraging information.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the length of the HDMI cable is > 20', try testing with a shorter cable (eg. 6'). If no issues, then purchase an HDMI extender (Monoprice) to boost the signal strength to the PJ.
Thanks so much jdsmoothie for the quick reply and suggestion. The length of the cable is 40' but it is the best one Monoprice sells, the Redmere technology which is suppose to have no problems with a 40' run. Unfortunately I can not test at smaller distance as projector is mounted in the ceiling about which puts it about 20' from my audio rack where the receiver sits. I may buy the booster anyway if you really thinks that's my problem.

Would still like other suggestions as well, hopefully some that I can try.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^
I would call Monoprice as the Redmere should work, but if not, and you have to purchase an extender, no reason to pay the Redmere premium. Also, if you cannot move the PJ, then you can move the AVR to the PJ instead. Another test is to set the video resolution at 720p instead of 1080p.
Moving the AVR would require major unhooking and rehooking, way too much work. How do I change the resolution from 1080 to 720, I don't think I ever set it to 1080, I don't remember setting anything regarding resolution except to "auto", I think. Are you saying change the resolution in the AVR or the projector?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^
AVR. The point is to reduce the bandwidth required by setting output resolution to 720p. If that works, you know you need a stronger signal.
OK give me a few minutes to try and figure out how to do that and I will get right back to you with an answer. Thanks again for trying to help me, can't tell you how much I really do appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^^
AVR. The point is to reduce the bandwidth required by setting output resolution to 720p. If that works, you know you need a stronger signal.
OK, lowered res to 720p as suggested no luck, lowered to 480p, no luck. But I did find my problem. My son had a 25' cable, I tried that and bingo, everything works perfectrly. Problem is, I don't know if it working now because the cable is shorter or if my cable was just bad and a new 40' cable would work ok. In other words I don't know whether to order a new 40' cable or not because the 25' cable is definitely not long enough to reach from the AVR to the projector?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Call Monoprice tomorrow see if they will swap out the cable for you.
Will do, thanks again for all the help and suggestions, have a wonderful day.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Will do, thanks again for all the help and suggestions, have a wonderful day.
They swapped out the cable for me. Thanks for your help and advice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts