AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guess I'm more of a noob than I thought - I had been using an Iscan Pro with my 8" crt for the last year and a half, had no problems or real concerns. But all the folks on the CRT board maintain that 480p is not good enough for my CRT.

OK - so I am now trying a Quadscan Pro, and I need you folks to tell me if this is typical scaler behaviour, or if I have a funky Quadscan. Hooked it up, got it to synch, etc, and started going thru the output options.

Problem/question is: I get a different sized picture, displayed in a different location, for each different output. Is this a, "duh" thing, or is this normal?

Like, for some sources I like triple tv, some look better with quad tv; but quad tv is like a foot wider (I was working with a 12' screen back with the Iscan.)

my wife likes XGA - 1024 x 768, and it does look pretty good on my pj, but it is about 2/3 the size of the other res, and is up and to the right on my screen.

if this is normal, I will live with it, and make some custom memory locations for each res - and here is another q, for all you HD and Lumagen owners - do your new gen scalers behave this way?

thanks guys,

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I believe that what you are experiencing is not unusual. See if you can adjust the height and width (HSIZ and VSIZ) to get the resolution of your choice into the proper sized picture.

When you use an external de-interlacer/scaler, you should be able to have all video sources delivered to the TV at the same resolution.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
Marshal,

" do your new gen scalers behave this way?"

It isn't the scaler, it is the CRT. On my Sony 1271 it had different input memories for different input resolutions. By changing what you feed the CRT the CRT would select different input memories which had different sizing and so on among other thins. You basically need to reconverge your projector for each of these memories and store them. After you do that the picture size/position should stay the same when you change resolutions.

Shawn

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shawn - bummer, I didn't want to work that hard. I am running a Runco 980 Ultra - a rebadged NEC, not a totally doggy pj. It doesn't auto switch inputs, but I do have 10 memories to program.

Allan - thanks, on some of the settings I cannot get the projected picture large enough without loosing synch. I can surely redo the memories - I was just wondering if it was normal, and if I would run into the same problem if and when the new Lumagens ship.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
" I didn't want to work that hard."

If you know what most people consider the sweet spot for your projector you could setup the scaler for that output resolution then just reconverge the projector for that output.

But if you want to tweak this yourself and find the sweet spot in your own setup you are going to have to try all the various combinations and reconverging the projector for each of them.

Shawn

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok - I admit, I would almost rather watch than tweak.. if I could get a crt picture from a plug and play bulb unit, I would.

I'll shut up.

thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.