AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wiring my home for the russound system. I purchased two spools of 16/4 as someone had recommended to me to save time, but I am not clear on something. I run the 16/4 from my russound cav to the room, but then how do I split the wire to go to both speakers. I was going to slice the jacket and split the wire, but I read this is not good. Then other sites recommend going to the keypad and then jumping to each speaker, but with the Russound it says to go direct.

Any ideas and suggestions please as this has stopped me from finishing my wiring.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Splices can fail over time. If the splices are behind the keypad, then you will still retain access to them.

I have 16/4 to the keypad location, and 16/2 to each speaker. Not all of my splices are behind the keypad, but almost all are accessible for future troubleshooting.

I used Wago Lever Nuts for my splices, nearly idiot proof.

Many splicing options available - wire nuts, B-connectors/beanies/yellow jackets, terminal blocks, solder, butt splice, Scotchlok, others.

Some people run 16/4 to the first speaker (from the wiring closet), break out the correct pair for that speaker, and then continue onto the next speaker.

If the 16/4 runs to the keypad location, and then on to the speakers, then you could, in the future, potentially replace your system with another system, e.g. ABus, that needs the speakers connected to the keypad. But, I doubt that will ever happen, so running the speaker cables directly to the speakers, bypassing the keypad, would probably be fine.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcu /forum/post/20770302

I am wiring my home for the russound system. I purchased two spools of 16/4 as someone had recommended to me to save time, but I am not clear on something. I run the 16/4 from my russound cav to the room, but then how do I split the wire to go to both speakers. I was going to slice the jacket and split the wire, but I read this is not good. Then other sites recommend going to the keypad and then jumping to each speaker, but with the Russound it says to go direct.

Yeah, don't open the wire to split it - you'll likely damage the wire and you don't want to figure that out after the drywall is up.

You can just run "direct" lines from your keypad to each speaker location (you'll just use 2 of the 4 conductors), or run a single cable from the keypad to the first speaker location and continue to the second. Then you'll cut the cable and splice it at the first speaker. The second method will tend to use slightly less cable - but if you've got enough of the stuff, just run them "direct". Easier to figure out later...

Jeff

·
Registered
434 Posts
Plus if you run one 16/4 to each speaker you can double up conductors for more power-hungry speakers, or use the second pair to add an extra set of speakers in a room after drywall is up without too much worry.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Split the jacket at the first speaker pull out the wire you want (Black, red), cut them, leave a loop of wire and then continue the remaining (green, white) to the second speaker, no splices. It's done every day in this industry.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok thanks guys. I willl run to the keypad where possible or direct where i can't or for smaller rooms since it's a renovation and not all drywall is off. For the kid's bedrooms (approx 14x14') could I just use a dual cone speaker instead of a pair or would i be better offinstalling two?

Also I have a great room where we will be doing our every day tv watching. It is 14x30' and planning on putting two speakers....is that enough or will I regret not going with four?

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
I suggest a cheap cable jacket cutter, to minimize the chance of cutting the insulation on the individual conductors, if you're going to 'split out' a pair of the speaker cables to the first speaker, and continue on to the next speaker.

I bought this one from HD, but most any one will work. Practice on a scrap to make sure you're not going too deep. For most cables, I use the tiny blade in the rectangular notch (very hard to see the steel/gray blade in that pic), upper left portion of the tool in that picture. That tiny blade is not adjustable, but it's worked perfectly for my speaker cables and category cables.

You should wire your great room for 5.1, 5.2, 7.1, or 7.2, even if you only want 2 speakers now. In 5 years, you may want to upgrade. Seal the unused speaker cables behind the drywall, take lots of pictures showing the locations to find them easily in the future. The subwoofer (.1 for 1 sw, .2 means 2 subwoofers) is wired with coax.

Figure out the best locations for subwoofers now, they'll also need a nearby power outlet. Front corners are often the best options. If you wire more than 1 location, you'll have the option of trying it in other places.

Futureproof as much as you can, to avoid future drywall work.

14' x 14' is a little large for a DVC speaker; they're better for bathrooms and hallways. I have one in my wiring closet.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Dual-cone / dual-input speakers should be fine in smaller rooms and even in larger rooms (depending on the layout of the room) can give a more even sound throughout the room. Stereo is usually only better when you have a fixed listening position (like a bed, or couch from which you are watching tv) but for more mobile areas like kitchen or outdoors I feel you're better off with summed-stereo aka 'mono'.

Are you really thinking about just two speakers in a 14x30' room? Most people on this forum would have plans for an 11.3 surround system with flat panel tv (and projector).

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
There is a noticable difference between a pair of speakers and a DVC speaker, in quality. The lack of stereo separation really limits the sound, very noticable. Stereo sound should be coming from 2 separate points. The DVC tweeters are directionally adjustable, and I have them directed to the walls of the closet, but it lacks the stereo effect.

Edit - but the speakers are for kids' bedrooms, and they won't notice, if you want to save $100.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.