AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the west coast, ESPN2 is airing 3 world cup matches live every night.

11:25pm - 1:30am WC Game 1

1:30am - 1:55am WC News Update

1:55am - 4:00am WC Game 2

4:00am - 4:25am WC News Update

4:25am - 6:30am WC Game 3

Right now I have two non-guaranteed themes setup to record

"World Cup Soccer" which picks up all the games

and

"World Cup Tonight Update" which picks up all the news updates

Problem it seems is the nightly update ends up preempting shows, usually Game 3. As you can see above, my theme channels for World Cup cover the entire range of times for Replay's nightly dialups (I'm using SS1000).

Is there some way to suspend nightly dialups for a period of time?

I'm going to experiment a bit to see if I can alleviate the situation but was wondering if any of you folks had any suggestions.

So far, my list of things to try:

1) disconnect phone line for duration of world cup, manually update guide during daytime, not sure if Replay will still attempt the dialup and thus preempt my show

2) change non-guaranteed theme to guaranteed theme, not sure if this will help, does replay give priority to guaranteed theme over dialup?

3) change from theme to show-based channel, not sure if this will help, does replay give priority to show-based channel over nightly dialup? Since there are so many games, this makes it harder to pick them all up

3.1) some combination of 2) and 3)

4) create single manual record for the whole nights worth of soccer, I think this will definitely work, but it makes it impossible to manage individual games and save them for later viewing

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
On my Showstopper, I've never had it preempt a guaranteed recording. It will cancel a non-guaranteed theme or recording whenever it feels like it though, including when dialing up.

Thank the stars for the 4k being able to connect with no interruptions!

Try making them guaranteed and see what happens.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have been using single show record to record each and all world cup games every night and I still have channel guide update without problem. Don't know when the dial-up connection is made though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am in the eastern time zone and set up the following which has worked for me so far.

ESPN2 2:25am-4:30am pad 0:25 (until 4:55am) all days non-guaranteed

ESPN2 4:55am-7:00am pad 0:25 (until 7:25am) all days non-guaranteed

ESPN2 7:25am-9:30am pad 0:30 (until 10:00am) all days non-guaranteed

This catches most games, the others I set up as one-time records. Originally, I had used individual recordings but my memory dropped dangerously low. I then do a manual connect during the evening to get the guide updates.

I still haven't decided what to do next week when the final group matches are played simultaneously. I'll probably set up the VCR to record the ESPN2 matches and change the above to the ESPN matches since they seem to have most of the more compelling matches.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
phone calls are allowed to interrupt non-guaranteed recordings, but aren't supposed to ever interfere with guaranteed -- could you just set the recordings to guaranteed?

(edited to fix a typo)

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, changed non-guaranteed theme to guaranteed theme and still missed game 3. I suspect it may just be the timing of game 3 being 4:25am. If the shows started on half hour marks, the dialup probably wouldn't get a chance to come into play.

I happened on a workaround (variation of remove the phone plug) that seems to be looking good for me.

I have two SS1000s which like to dialup at the same time. I created non-guaranteed themes for "World Cup" on both. It appears to alternate which SS1000 gets to dial out first, causing the phone line to be off-hook and preventing the other from dialing out. The one which doesn't get to dial out records game 3 fine. Since they alternate which gets to dial out first from night to night, I don't even have to worry about manually dialing out for the channel guide updates.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.