AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently added a JVC LX-NZ3 projector (with a 120" Screen Innovations screen) to my media room, complementing a 65" Samsung QN65Q90R television.

The projector works beautifully: 4K, HDR, all of it. I'm super happy.

The problem's with the Denon receiver (I think?). The TV's plugged into "Monitor 1 ARC," and the projector's plugged into "Monitor 2." When both the Samsung TV and the JVC projector are plugged into the Denon, the Denon intermittently misbehaves.

Most days, we use the TV, saving the projector for Friday Night Movie Nights. But very often the Denon will not pass a video signal to the TV. I can eventually get a picture on the TV by cycling power of the TV and/or the receiver and/or the Xbox (our source of choice), or by switching between inputs on the receiver -- just generally futzing around until I finally get a picture on the television.

I discovered that the problem instantly goes away if I unplug the projector's HDMI cable, either from the back of the receiver, or from the back of the projector. As long as the projector's disconnected, the receiver and the TV play nice with each-other. The moment the projector's connected (even if the projector is powered off), the Denon and the Samsung don't cooperate.

As a side note, but probably totally related: I also have issues getting an image on the projector. I've found that oftentimes I must turn on the TV, in order for the projector to get a video signal. (I can then turn the TV off, and the projector will continue to work.)

Help! THANK YOU.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Many devices go into low power states, but they don't actually turn off, which can be confusing to the reciever. Your TV and/or projector may have an option to turn off their 'fast power on' modes and this might help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the fast reply, DunMuro! There doesn't appear to be any hybrid power state for the projector -- it's either fully on or it's fully off. I also disabled CEC wherever I found it, as I read elsewhere on this forum that that can confuse devices....

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Thanks for the fast reply, DunMuro! There doesn't appear to be any hybrid power state for the projector -- it's either fully on or it's fully off. I also disabled CEC wherever I found it, as I read elsewhere on this forum that that can confuse devices....
Is that a 4K TV? It might be a HDCP 2.2 issue.

What happens if you switch the HDMI outputs to have the NZ3 on HDMI1?

Some receivers have options for HDMI output type.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, the Samsung's a 4K television. The projector does have two HDMI inputs, one is labeled HDCP 2.2 and the other is not. I could definitely try using the projector's non-labeled HDMI port, but I had assumed that I would need to use the HDCP port to view copy-protected content? (I've confirmed that both my Denon and the Samsung are also HDCP 2.2 compliant.)

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Your getting conflicting EDID's from two devices and it's confusing the AVR. As others have stated modern tv's/projectors don't shut off but just go into standby mode and still answer a handshake request with an EDID. A physical a/b HDMI switch is recommended and will solve your issues or you need to go into the AVR and select the HDMI out port and don't have it auto mirror.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would be happy to give an HDMI switch a try! Question: you say a "physical" switch. Is this different from the HDMI switches you would most commonly find on Amazon, which, as best I can tell, don't utilize a mechanical mechanism for switching HDMI outputs but rather switch electronically?

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
I would be happy to give an HDMI switch a try! Question: you say a "physical" switch. Is this different from the HDMI switches you would most commonly find on Amazon, which, as best I can tell, don't utilize a mechanical mechanism for switching HDMI outputs but rather switch electronically?
I use one of these with my 4K UHD50 and HC1040:

this unit appears to be the similar:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you! Wow, surprisingly, finding a simple 4K 1-in 2-out HDMI switch is no easy task. Most devices are splitters, not switches, and most are 2-in,1-out. This super-simple device, from UGREEN, claims to be 2x1 and 1x2. Any thoughts? 2 In 1 Out 4K HDMI Switch

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Thank you! Wow, surprisingly, finding a simple 4K 1-in 2-out HDMI switch is no easy task. Most devices are splitters, not switches, and most are 2-in,1-out. This super-simple device, from UGREEN, claims to be 2x1 and 1x2. Any thoughts? 2 In 1 Out 4K HDMI Switch
That switch is only 4K/30hz (10gbps) = not want you want. You want a unit capable of 4K/60hz and 18gbps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ah, good catch, copy that. A 4K, 60hz, 18gbps, 1-in 2-out HDMI switch (not splitter) -- man, after lots and lots of Googling, I'm not sure that such an animal exists? There are more complex devices that will do the trick, like the 4 x 2 switches DunMunro linked to, but no simple 1x2 switches. Rekbones, did you happen to have something in mind when you recommended an A/B switch?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ah, good catch, copy that. A 4K, 60hz, 18gbps, 1-in 2-out HDMI switch (not splitter) -- man, after lots and lots of Googling, I'm not sure that such an animal exists? There are more complex devices that will do the trick, like the 4 x 2 switches DunMunro linked to, but no simple 1x2 switches. Rekbones, did you happen to have something in mind when you recommended an A/B switch?
as a first step you might want to set specific resolution in the AVR for each output. By default the Denon will be set to auto. If that doesn’t work I would make sure you are using certified 18GBPS HDMI cables. Lastly, you can get something like the HDFury that will let you control the EDID for a specific output.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, everyone! Who knew that simply adding a second output device would be such a headache? I would think nowadays it's not uncommon to have both a TV and a projector?

Okay, so I think my Denon receiver is configured as everyone suggests? Below are screenshots of the current config.

The Denon doesn't allow me to set a specific resolution per output, unfortunately, as Warnija suggests. (You'll note that there's no such option in the screenshots below.)

Warnija, when you mention HDFury, are you talking about the DR. HDMI 4K device? I could certainly give that a try. It looks very... intimidating.

My cables are all certified 18GPBS. I had problems when I initially installed the projector, which were solved be switching to "RUIPRO 8K HDMI Fiber Optic HDMI 2.1 48Gbps [email protected] [email protected] Dynamic HDR/eARC/HDCP 2.2" cables.

For now, I can go into the Denon's Output Settings/HDMI Video Output, and instead of "Auto(Dual)" select either Monitor 1 or Monitor 2. But that's obviously clumsy and probably not something I can train my family to do.

The Denon's Main Video Menu:

Picture Adjust:

HDMI Setup:

Output settings:

Component video out:

On Screen Display:

4K Signal Format:

TV Format:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Use the Quick Select settings on your Denon. Set option 1 to enable HDMI 1 only for the TV, and option 2 to enable only HDMI 2 for the projector. Then you switch between them easily with just one button on the remote.

Its what I finally did for my similar Denon + Samsun + JVC configuration. Now it works like a dream. Before, trying to have both connected, it was super annoying and never worked.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks, everyone! I'll set up the Quick Select on the Denon, like Keith Murray suggests. And then ultimately I might look into something from HDFury, that MDesigns and Warninja mention.

BTW, I'm loving the JVC LX-NZ3. It's set up in our living room, which has poor light control. For rooms that can get really dark, there are def better choices, but I feel like for my kind of environment, it's one of the best projectors out there. Doesn't seem to be getting a lot of love, though...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts