AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15,085 Posts
Unfortunately, your equipment list isn't included. I think you need to make some more posts (5?) before the forum software will allow attachments. You could do them in the test forum.

It could be that the problem is in the quality of the audio, not simply the sound level.

If I correctly understand what you've written, the center speaker is in a cabinet. Make sure that the speaker extends well beyond the shelving to avoid reflections that would muddy the audio. Similarly, reflections from the floor can cause problems. You might try putting a substantial rug between the center speaker and the primary listening position if there's not one there already.

Then, if your receiver includes room equalization software, re-do its calibration.

·
Registered
11,585 Posts
What do you have your crossovers set at? As Seldon Ball mentioned, I would try to leverage EQ if your receiver offers it, and if it has things like Audyssey Dynamic Volume you may want to look into that as well.

Lastly, it could just be that the source material is the issue and is not mixed very well.

·
Registered
15,085 Posts
In what way does Audyssey fail?

A common problem is that it incorrectly complains that speakers are wired wrong, but you should be able to tell it to skip to the next part of the calibration.

·
Registered
15,085 Posts
That's too bad. You have my sympathy.

If you haven't already, you might ask about that problem on Audyssey's Web site. There are other versions of Audyssey which might (or might not) help. Some receivers can be augmented with the Pro version of Audyssey, for example. I don't know if the 40.3 is one of them.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Although it's certainly worth exhausting all possibilities, ultimately it could just be your speaker. Center channel dialogue was my biggest complaint with my old speakers, and I tried multiple placement options, configuration tweaks in my AVR, etc, and nothing helped.

My new center channel fixed all my issues. I can now listen to TV shows late at night at very low volumes and hear every word. With my old center, I couldn't hear dialogue at all with my AVR turned way down, and whispers were pretty much non-existent at any volume level.

·
Registered
15,085 Posts
Have you verified that all of the center speaker's drivers are actually working? One or more of them might be damaged. You could swap it with one of the other two to find out if it sounds difererent.

Is there any chance you could borrow or rent a Mythos Ten to compare? Its tweeter is a different design and should sound somewhat different. It's somewhat larger though, and might not fit.

·
Registered
13,484 Posts
Have you used a SPL meter to verify you have all speakers producing 75db at the MLP?

·
Registered
198 Posts
I had the same problem with my B&W CM5's with Centre and what helped out most was pivoting the center channel up a bit to really hit the sweet spot of that tweeter. A lot of us dont have the luxury of getting the tweeter at ear height or at least matching height of that L/R's

·
Registered
1,751 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P  /t/1468685/suggestion-for-low-dialogue-levels-with-center-channel#post_23215685

Have you used a SPL meter to verify you have all speakers producing 75db at the MLP?

Yup was gonna post this as well. If not using room correction an SPL meter is a must. I use the Radio Shack version ( can buy on- line) easy to use. Google Radio Shack SPL meter. There are others as well.

I use mine at least every three months if I move stuff. Great and inexpensive investment and really a must have.

Rick

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.