AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I'm brand new to the whole 3D blu ray thing. I just set up my 3D capable TV two days ago and bought my first 3D blu ray yesterday! However, once everything is connected, the disc says that one of the components is not compatible and needs to be updated. I've run firmware and software updates on every device so far, but nothing seems to be working. Thor: The Dark World 3D is the movie I was trying to view. I thought maybe it isn't playing yet because its brand new, but other people and reviewers have been able to view the film in 3D. Maybe I'm overlooking something?

I'm using:

Panasonic Viera P50ST60 TV

Playstation 3 console

Denon AVR-E300 receiver

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Should also note that once I put the disc in, the PS3 recognized it as 3D content, and asked me to confirm my screen size. It's once I choose my language on the disc that it says things are not compatible and won't go any further.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I'd run an HDMI cable straight to your TV. It says your receiver passes 3D; however it might be the problem. If you connect it directly from the PS3 to the TV and you still get that message you know it isn't your receiver and it's either the PS3 or a setting on your TV

Sent from my iPhone, excuse the typos

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I will try that when I get home, thanks!

As an aside, I did try some 3D streaming content from the PS4 Vudu app, and the 3D worked just fine on there. My active glasses recognized the content and turned on. Is that the same thing as passing content from a disc from the console to the receiver and out to the TV?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Do you have a PS4 or PS3? Is everything going through your Denon? If so, I'm not sure why it won't play off the BD

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I own both consoles. I originally tried the PS4, got the error message, and found out that it doesnt have 3D blu ray support yet. I hooked up the PS3 in its place and unfortunately got the same error message. Turned the PS4 back on and tried the Vudu app's 3D movies (PS3 didnt have it installed at the time). Yes, everything runs through the Denon AVR-E300

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Ok. I don't know anything about the Vudu app. So, I don't know if it was passing actual 3D content or just converting 2D content to 3D. I would still try bypassing the Denon and see if you still get that message.

·
Registered
168 Posts
^Streaming 3D content via Vudu or Netflix works differently than playing a 3D movie via disc. Dual 1080p streams are used for disc's. Not the case with Netflix and Vudu 3D. I would bypass your Denon and see what happens as well, to start.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupterr  /t/1519937/problem-viewing-3d-content#post_24413172

^Streaming 3D content via Vudu or Netflix works differently than playing a 3D movie via disc. Dual 1080p streams are used for disc's. Not the case with Netflix and Vudu 3D. I would bypass your Denon and see what happens as well, to start.

Good to know. I wouldn't think it would be the same; that would be some serious bandwidth to stream dual 1080p signals for full HD 3D.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again for all the replies thus far!

I bypassed my receiver and had the PS3 directly connected to the TV. Once I powered it on it asked me again to set resolution and screen size. I did so, and the movie played just fine in 3D. No hang ups. While it was playing, I reconnected everything to the receiver. Video continued to play in 3D, so the receiver is working as intended. I think maybe the PS3 wasn't functioning as if should've been until I connected it directly to the TV.

Everything is working fine for now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts