AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Using Video Essentials, I was trying to calibrate the speaker levels on my Sony STR-DA2ES receiver.

When setting the level of the five discrete speakers (front-left, front right, center, surround left, and surround right) to 75 dB, everything was fine. But when trying to calibrate the level of my subwoofer, the subwoofer pink noise was sent to the front-left and front-right speakers, and no noise was sent to the subwoofer. Subwoofer was set to "yes" in the receiver setup. Only when I entered the "setup" menu on the 2ES, and set the front speakers to "small" did the subwoofer actually receive the pink noise signal. When the front speakers were set to "large", the problem would repeat.

I know I connected the speakers and the subwoofer correctly. I'd hate to "waste" my large front speakers by leaving them set to "small". Is there something in the setup of the receiver that's causing the subwoofer signal to be passed to the front "large" speakers instead of to the subwoofer?

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Bryant

·
Registered
862 Posts
It's not an LFE channel, it's just a low bass signal. So you if you want bass redirection from non-LFE channels to the sub, you need to set the speakers to small and adjust the crossover setting. Don't worry, with a DVD movie with actual LFE tracks, you'll get the LFE on the subwoofer whether or not you set your mains to small. But low-bass on mains will not be redirected to the sub if they are set to large.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks RexCarson for the reply. However, are you sure it's not a true LFE only channel that's output by Video Essentials?

I just checked with my Onkyo receiver, with my front left and right speakers set to "large". When the subwoofer signal comes on, only the subwoofer is making the pink noise.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Se-riously, I recently installed a Sony STR-DA1ES in my home and because I have large front speakers (Heil/ESS AMT1B) that have large woofers and passive radiators did not see the need for a subwoofer. Since I turned off my subwoofer all the bass is going thru fronts and the sound is very good and loud enough to rattle dishes in the next room if desired. My calibration was done by ear not with the Video essentials DVD.

I do have a question for you. I have not been able to see any signal thru my Video monitor output to the HDTV. (RCA Video) Does your unit display on Video monitor?

Thanks

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pacragoe,

Yes, my on-screen displays for the setup works fine. But, you have to hit the "On Screen" button on the front panel of the receiver for anything to be displayed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.