AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 56H80 a little less than a month ago and it has not been on for more than a two to three hours per day (+/-). Yesterday, as I was watching it, it all of sudden turned itself off and back on momentarily, and when it came back on it had switched from TheaterWide to Normal. My wife said that it did it once again today, although I haven't seen do it tonite, while I've had it on for the last couple of hours. I'm getting a bad feeling about this!! I hope I don't have one of those Toshiba quality problems I've heard about. Anybody else experience this problem? What is it? Could it a power fluctuation? Any feedback would be appreciated it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also have experienced this problem. I have had my 56H80 since late December. Mine has done this 3 or 4 times, the latest being last night in which it took the TV about 5 seconds or so to recover. While it was blanked out I did notice that the power indicator on the TV was still on. Is this one of these things that if you get the repairman over and it does not occur while he is watching he will say that there is nothing wrong and will be happy to return if it happens again? Has anyone had this problem repaired? Thanks.

noggin

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hey...

I guess I am not only one with this problem then.

I asked about it a few days ago without any response <1st forum

message created by me>

I go my set on Monday and seen this happened to me 3 times already.

Have not seen it on Wed/Thursday though.

By the way... if you guys seen this... just checking if you

have a problem with playing component HD1 on 4:3 mode.

The TV would display the 4:3 material as washed out....

but it is only when switched to wide/full mode.

Regards,

dipper

·
Registered
78 Posts
H2OSkier,

In my case, it was blacked out... I think that was why

"miabrinos" thought the set was turned off. But like

"noggin" indicated... the power light is still on.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Check with your local service center. This was a known problem when I asked on behalf of one of my customers who is experiencing this. According to the service manager I spoke with, it is due to a poor solder job at the factory. He told me the only rememdy was to remove the chassis and re-solder every connection by hand! He said to expect 5-10 days of downtime.

------------------

John Golitsis

Next Big Thing Electronics

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
www.nbtelectronics.com

·
Registered
7 Posts
When mine went blank the screen went black. I was watching DSS in Theaterwide1 and it acted as though the signal was cut from the DSS receiver but of course it wasn't. I have had no problems with watching 4:3 material on HD1 in any of the modes.

noggin

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have had my 56H80 for about a month. In that time it has turned off and back on about 5 times. I also had a TP61H95 that did the same thing. It just went away. According to some post on the *************** this is a common problem and according to those posts its considered a "burn in period". I would believe this considering it just went away on my 61H95.

Just my 2 cents....

·
Registered
114 Posts
My 2 week old 65H80 went blank today.I get sound,but no picture.Ive only had the turning off/on problem once but today it never turned back on.After about 20 minutes the audio returned but not the video.

I wish it was part of the"burn-in period",but it doesn't look good.I have a service man coming Tues,but already I am experiencing HDTV withdrawl.

Pete

[This message has been edited by Mune (edited 03-09-2001).]

·
Registered
78 Posts
I know how you feel.... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

I have problem with my 3 day old DST3000 this week....so I know how you feel.

At least you did not have to mail it to their service center like

I have to with my STB. I have to pay to get to the service center!!!

Good luck with the Service Tech and let us know what happened.

My TV has not done this off/on thing since I first saw it last week.

Hope it was just burn in.

·
Registered
87 Posts
mune same thing happened to me 6 weeks ago still waiting for a power suppl board.and toshiba claims no oroblem with the power supply. lots more than just us. good luck,should have my board in a week or so. my set was a month old

·
Registered
114 Posts
Gene,

6 weeks is a long, long time.How can they make you wait that long for a brand new defective TV. Did you raise hell?etc...

I have to believe we are entitled to better service than that?

Good Luck

·
Registered
129 Posts
This problem seems to be across the whole Toshiba line. I've got a 61H70 and the horizontal drive went out when it was less than a month old (that was a month ago). I get the black-blank at least twice a week. Sometimes it is accompanied by a loud pop and I cringe every time I hear 'that' sound as it the exact sound as when the horz drive went caput.

I think that there is a serious problem with the power supplies in the current Toshiba product line that will hopefully be acknowledged soon.

I'll be adding another RPTV soon but I'm not sure if it will be another Toshiba. One more problem with this one and I'll start shopping for another brand.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have a refurbed Toshiba 55x81 that I have had for a month and every few days the red tube goes out of convergence by 2 inches and can't be adjusted using the convergence menu on the set. I am getting it fixed under Warranty next week. Its obviously not fair to compare it to a new set,but I will post the etiolgy of the problem when I get it back.

·
Registered
87 Posts
one moore day they will make a disicion on my power supply board after two and a half months all the hell i raised did nothing i hope i get a new board not a new set just had ISF done before it blew

·
Registered
114 Posts
Gene ,

Keeps us posted...

My service call is this afternoon,& I ve been thinking I d rather have my board(if indeed it is the power supply board)replaced also, rather than risking going thru all this again w/ another set.

I still find it hard to believe that we purchase a $3-4 grand TV ,it is defective & we are at their mercy. Just doesnt add up.

Pete

·
Registered
114 Posts
The repairman left a little while ago & the problem is something

with the fuse for the convergence.It keeps "blowing". So if the store has my tv in stock,I should be getting a replacement this week(fingers crossed)

My other option was to wait for a replacement part in 7- 10 days.

I hope this all finally over!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey guys,

According to a different forum, this is caused by the CRT arcing!! It supposedly happens when loose particles of phosphor drop down inside the CRT causing arcing and a temporary power reset, as a result. Whenever, the set resets due to an abnormal power reset, it comes back in 4x3 mode. It has happened three or four more times since my initial post and hopefully it is a "break-in" problem, since the frequency is decreasing (knock on wood)! I did notice that it happened after I had moved the set a couple of times to get behind it to install my OTA connection etc., which makes me think that the movement causes more loose phosphor particles to drop down and arc? That's my theory anyway. Has anybody else heard this explanation?

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I've read this 'arcing' thing before and, frankly, I don't buy it!

Why was there no problem with last years sets? Why is it doing this only on the 56 and 65H80's and not other Toshiba models? How about all the other RPTVs on the market?

------------------

John Golitsis

Next Big Thing Electronics

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
www.nbtelectronics.com

·
Registered
730 Posts
I've got a brand new 56H80 and so far, no ghosts have turned off my set yet. ;-)

However, my picuture needs to be shifted to the right. (Some calibration images are off the screen on the left side.) How do I shift the image to the right?

I've got VE, but I haven't started to try to calibrate the set other than a simple convergence adjustment. But I have to say, the picture looked pretty great right out of the box.

Now . . . time to get an HDTV receiver . . . hmmm . . .

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.