AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running a hdmi 50 ft cable from my hd Directv receiver from one room to a tv in another room. When I run the cable across the floor it works perfect. I then ran the cable through the basement and walls and now I get no signal at all. I have tried this with 2 separate 50 ft hdmi cables and both work perfectly when not run through the basement and walls, but once I ran them through the walls and basement I get no signal. Could someone please give me some suggestions on what could be the problem and how I could solve this? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Did you make any tight bends with the cable (radius tighter than about 10 times the diameter of the cable)? Did you have to pull hard on it to install it? Does the cable run near any potential sources of interference?

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Well, if you pulled more than about 25 pounds when pulling the cable, you may have upset the cable geometry. And if you made bends with radii tighter than about 10 times the cable diameter, you probably did the same. Upsetting cable geometry will cause impedance changes which will result in reflection of part of the signal which will degrade the signal at the receiving end. If the cable runs parallel to an AC line for an appreciable distance, it can pick up noise. The method used to transmit HDMI video signals is fairly resistant to picking up this kind of noise, but it is not totally immune. The control signals may be more affected because of how they are transmitted.

FWIW at 50'. You are beyond the distance of even a certified standard HDMI cable (longest I am aware of is 45'). But it should be doable. Folks have reported being able to do 1080p60 at 100' or more. Of course, it depends on the cable, all the electronics involved, what you are trying to jam down the cable, and the environment.

What resolution and frame rate are you running? Deep color? 3D?

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Since a 50' HDMI cable is a standard speed HDMI cable you are probably getting interference from the electrical system.

What gauge is the wire in the cable?

Are you using wall outlets at each end or is the cable still connected directly between the TV receiver and the TV? If so then one of the connections with the wall connector could be the problem?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is not the wall connectors because I connected them with the wall connectors and without. I made sure before running the cable through the wall that it would work connected to the wall connectors and it did. It is definitely something wrong when I run the cable through the wall and basement. I don't know the gauge it is the RCA HDMI to HDMI DH50HHR.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is not the wall connectors because I connected them with the wall connectors and without. I made sure before running the cable through the wall that it would work connected to the wall connectors and it did. It is definitely something wrong when I run the cable through the wall and basement. I don't know the gauge it is the RCA HDMI to HDMI DH50HHR.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.