AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had Dish with 811 installed yesterday. The HD channels are great, but I have a problem with the SD channels:

The 811 is connected to a Denon AVR-3803 via component connection, and from there to my Mitsubishi WS-65613 (I route all the video through the receiver so as to only have one connection to the TV, since the 3803 upconverts to component). Since the signal coming into the Mits is 1080i (811 upconverts the non-HD channels to 1080i), my only stretch options are "Standard" which results in pillarboxing (as one would expect), and "Wide Expand" which should force the image to fill the entire 16:9 screen. The problem is that the "Wide Expand" does not expand the signal far enough. I still end up with 1-inch black pillars left and right; I'm concerned with burn-in issues down the line.

While the 811 has an option to "adjust" the position left-to-right, there is no zoom or sizing options, nor am I aware of any similar options on the Mits.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

-Dan

·
Registered
115 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by heavyharmonies
I just had Dish with 811 installed yesterday. The HD channels are great, but I have a problem with the SD channels:

The 811 is connected to a Denon AVR-3803 via component connection, and from there to my Mitsubishi WS-65613 (I route all the video through the receiver so as to only have one connection to the TV, since the 3803 upconverts to component). Since the signal coming into the Mits is 1080i (811 upconverts the non-HD channels to 1080i), my only stretch options are "Standard" which results in pillarboxing (as one would expect), and "Wide Expand" which should force the image to fill the entire 16:9 screen. The problem is that the "Wide Expand" does not expand the signal far enough. I still end up with 1-inch black pillars left and right; I'm concerned with burn-in issues down the line.

-Dan

I am using a Panasonic SA-XR25S in the same manner as with your Denon, and a 811 and Mits 55613. SD material does indeed have pillars on the sides of the pic unless I use the 1080i 'Wide Expand' which totally fills the screen correctly. HD material correctly fills the screen using the 1080 i 'Standard' format. Maybe your Denon is doing something to the format. Maybe try a direct connection from the 811 to your Mits.

HTH

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This turned out to be the problem. I was trying to fix the issue with the TV stretch options, when what I needed to do was leave the TV at "Standard" and use the 811 stretch modes to fix the problem. Too many stretch options! :) :)

Thanks!

-Dan

·
Registered
52 Posts
Maybe Im not understanding component well enough, but my question about my denon 3803 is when the s-vid is sent thru the component, what resolution is it being upgraded to? 720p,480p,1080i? depends? btw goes to samsung hln507w. connect hd sat receive direct with dvi. I use denon for older dvd (awaiting bravo 2) and replay tv. Would it be a better conversion to have the dvd and replay s-vid go straight to the tv and let it convert it? switching isn't really such a big issue with macro remotes.

All I can ever find about the denon is it upconverts. Is it clear and only one resolution when upconverting to component so any other specs are redundant?

thanks,

Jack

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.