AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still very much in the early learning stages with my Emotiva UMC-1, and could use some help with a problem.

My 7.1 system includes an Emotiva UMC-1, a pair of Emotiva amps, and a Samsung BDP-1600. All are connected solely via HDMI. I am trying to play a Blu-Ray disc from AIX records entitled Audio Calibration Disc HD Music Sampler.

The disc offers two audio choices: Stereo (2.0) or a 7.1 "stage mix" in Dolby True HD. The video is fine with either choice. The audio is fine in Stereo. When I try to listen in 7.1, however, all I get is a rhythmic tapping sound. If I fiddle around with different "modes" in the UMC-1 I can change the timbre of the tapping sound, but I cannot get any music.

The BDP-1600 offers three output choices:

PCM

Bitstream (Re-encode)

Bitstream (Audiophile)

If I choose PCM and then try to play, the UMC-1 display tells me the signal is MPCM, 96Khz, and 7.1, but produces only the tapping sound. I can switch to stereo on the fly at any time in any of the formats and it will work fine.

If I choose Bitstream (Re-encode) the display tells me it 48Khz instead, and that the signal is 5.1 instead of 7.1, but I still get only the tapping sound.

If I choose Bitstream (Audiophile) the display tells me there there is no signal at all, unless I switch to stereo, when it recognizes and plays a stereo signal.

It really seems like I should be able to get the 7.1 signal to play. What am I missing? I have not done much more to the setup of the UMC-1 than just running Emo-Q.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Bitstream (Audiophile) setting, whatever that means, says it disables secondary audio automatically.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts