AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I've got 2 Ascendant Audio Avalanche 15" drivers, both of which I recently got from shipped from the US. I also recieved the EP2500 I'm going to be driving them with just a few days back.

I hooked each of them up without enclosure, (haven't build them yet!) just to make sure they work. one works fine, but the other makes a "tapping" or "clicking" sound as it moves. the sound is like the sound it would make if you put your finger close enough to the cone that it hit it every cycle.

I checked to make sure that the surround and dustcap are well attached and not "flapping" or anything, and checked each tinsel to make sure these arent the culprit.

Anyone have any idea what this might be, and any way I can fix it? I'd hate to have to return this sub as they're very rare, and the shipping cost me almost as much as the sub itself!

Thanks everyone for your help!!

·
Registered
4,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundemon /forum/post/12792812

...and the shipping cost me almost as much as the sub itself!

I'm not trying to put you or any other avalanche owner down, but are these subs really that good that people will pay big money (after shipping) for them as opposed to buying new drivers from a different vendor?

Or did you just get a really good deal on the drivers and that's why the shipping was nearly equal in price?

·
Registered
5,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneybomber /forum/post/12800411

I'm not trying to put you or any other avalanche owner down, but are these subs really that good that people will pay big money (after shipping) for them as opposed to buying new drivers from a different vendor?

Or did you just get a really good deal on the drivers and that's why the shipping was nearly equal in price?

Truthfully? No.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneybomber /forum/post/12800411

Shipping to me up here in Canada is always pretty expensive. specifically on large heavy items like a 15 or 18" sub.

Whether the sub is $100 or $300 or $500 its gonna cost close to $100 to ship it, and then I have to pay taxes and import duties.

For the price, I've heard from many sources that these are excellent in an IB or LLT setup, and sound great in a great range of sealed enclosure sizes. have a look at whats out there, Fs of 15.7 and xmax of 27mm is pretty impressive.

The only issue of course is buying used, and I'm really hoping I didn't get burned...

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Buying used makes me a bit nervous too. I wish you the best of luck.

An fs of 15.7 with 27mm xmax looks nice though, what's it's Qts, BL and Le?

You say you're in Canada, did you check out the offerings (sdx-15) from Creative Sound Solutions?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneybomber /forum/post/12802011

Buying used makes me a bit nervous too. I wish you the best of luck.

An fs of 15.7 with 27mm xmax looks nice though, what's it's Qts, BL and Le?

You say you're in Canada, did you check out the offerings (sdx-15) from Creative Sound Solutions?

Fs 15.7 Hz

Qms 3.5

Qes .334

Qts .305

Vas 300.6 L

Re 3.2 ohms

Znom* 4 ohms

Xmax 27 mm

Sd 749 cm2

Mms 269 g

Vd 4.04 L

Pnom 800 watts

Le 2.4 mH

This is the specs I've got...

Never heard of Creative sound solutions. I'll have a look tho!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well Fi can provide a recone kit for this driver at a cost of $85. I'm uncertain of my ability to perform the recone however, so I'm just going to sell this driver to someone who's more comfortable performing the recone...

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
I've seen your comments over at SSA about the recone. It is EXTREMELY simple. I've posted a few steps in the Fi forum on how I did my 18" recones (search for posts by Robert_J). If you want pictures to go along with my instructions, I can do that as well.

-Robert

·
Registered
502 Posts
Yeah, the CSS SDX15 might have worked for you. I don't know what you paid total for each avalanche, but the SDX15 comes to around $260 each shipped in Canada (can't check the site at work, but last I looked it was around there).

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlj5242 /forum/post/13169090

I've seen your comments over at SSA about the recone. It is EXTREMELY simple. I've posted a few steps in the Fi forum on how I did my 18" recones (search for posts by Robert_J). If you want pictures to go along with my instructions, I can do that as well.

-Robert

You're a jem. Please send me any pix you've got! [email protected]

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Here's my SSA post on how I reconed. Not finished but it shows you just how easy it is. link

Yours will be a little more complicated since you have a used sub. This is based on a new basket. On a sub I'm doing now, I had to remove the surround material from the basket with a scraper. Same with the spider. Get as much as possible. Then get a drill or a grinder with a flapper disc sander and get the spider and surround landings down to bare metal. I'm taking pics now of the recone where I did that so if you want to wait, I'll have them posted sometime this weekend.

Go ahead and order the recone kit now since it may take a few weeks to get it. I'll help you here or over at SSA with as many tips and pictures as you need.

-Robert

1 - 14 of 14 Posts