AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just want to post if anyone can see a problem with how i will have my antennas setup.

Right now i have two different directions my DTV signals come from. If you feel like looking it up my zip code is 54494. I have three stations from almost the same tower facing North and they work well 45+ miles (CBS, ABC & PBS). The next is from the North West and has problems due to distance of around 60+ miles (NBC). I can get the analog OK and no digital.

I currently have an older UHF/VHF CM with 50 feet of RG6 quad going to a RCA DTC-100. I have a CM 4221 and CM 7777 coming this week and want to try using the 4221 to pick up NBC. I will be stacking the 4221 over the UHF/VHF with a splitter joining the the two before they hit the mast mounted pre-amp.

I will test each antenna with the preamp separate to make sure i don't have a problem with either one and then use the splitter to join the two antennas. Am i overlooking anything or should this setup work? I know the 4221 might not be enough to pick up my NBC, if that is the problem i will try a 4228 and see how that works.

Dave

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Pointing two antennas in different directions and combing them often has mixed results, due to multipath problems. It will either work or it won't. The DTC100 has a first-gen OTA DTV tuner, and sometimes doesn't work well with weak signals or multipath. I would first try the CM 4221 alone + 7777 preamp, before combining anything.

The 4221 has a wide beam spread ~60° or so. Aim the 4221 at the distant NBC station for highest signal strength, then slowly move it toward the other stations, keeping the NBC station's signal strength steady. You don't have to have 100% SS for good reception. Just a steady, unwavering signal.

Are all of your digital stations broadcasting at full power?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.