AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a flat screen HDTV, it's a Sharp Aquos 60", and I have various inputs into it, one of them being an HD DirecTv DVR using an HDMI cable. I love the sound the TV produces, but, I wanted to add the sound from my Surround system too especially so I can add the Sub Woofer and more speakers. To keep things more simple, and so my wife and child can more easily operate and watch TV, I am not using the Surround system as a selector switch to choose the video source to feed the TV. Another reason is that this Surround system ( Sony STR-9000) only has 2 HDMI inputs. So, I am feeding the HDMI from the DirecTv HD DVR to the TV and the Optical output from the DirecTv DVR to the Surround System. When I want to add the extra sound, I simply switch on the Surround and I thought I could have the extra sound.

The problem is, there is a really bad echo. This echo is present with the DirecTv optical connection, and I also have a Roku box for Netflix connected via HDMI to the TV with an optical connection to the Surround. There is an echo with this as well.

I have tried using the optical out from the TV to the Surround System, but, I cannot seem to get it to produce a signal. Maybe I am not selecting the right menu option to activate this feed.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
When you switch to your surround configuration are you muting the TV's speakers? If not the result may be perceived as an "echo". Also be aware that in 99.999% of HDTVs, the optical audio output from the TV will be stereo (2 channels). Usually 5.1 DD will only be output from the TV's optical output connector if the input signal is being processed by the TV's own tuner - i.e., the signal is from an antenna (over the air reception).

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
You definitely need to mute the TV when using the sound system.

I'd also recommend getting a Harmony remote, which allows everyone in the family to run the system no matter how complex the switching set-ups. We have a cable box, four disc players, and an HDMI switch with all video run direcly to the TV and audio to the sound system. My wife and kids, including an eight year old, almost never have a problem watching what they want. They just push one button on the remote and it takes care of everything from there. The remote may be the best single piece of AV gear we own.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.