AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think there's something wrong with my new projector. Before I contact customer support, or exchange it for another one, I just wanted to see if anyone knows what the issue is.

I don't believe it's "rainbow effect", as I never saw anything like this with my friend's Benq W1070.

I can make myself see the rainbow effect if I pause something with white lines on a black background and move my eyes very quickly back and forth, but I don't see it during movies.

On top of that, others I've watched content with have noticed the exact same issue.

What's that issue? A flash of color randomly. It seems to be mostly green, with maybe a little red. It happens very quickly but it's noticeable and others have seen it. At first, I was concerned about my HDMI cable run. Even though it's a very thick cable (High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet - 26AWG CL2 (In-Wall) 3D Ready), it's a 50' run.

I got a powered HDMI splitter that has a signal boost and it's still doing it. Anyway, I'm guessing that an issue with an HDMI cable wouldn't look so "analog" anyway, and would likely involve the signal cutting out as it's a digital transference.

Any idea what it could be? Is it just a faulty projector?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I think there's something wrong with my new projector. Before I contact customer support, or exchange it for another one, I just wanted to see if anyone knows what the issue is.

I don't believe it's "rainbow effect", as I never saw anything like this with my friend's Benq W1070.

I can make myself see the rainbow effect if I pause something with white lines on a black background and move my eyes very quickly back and forth, but I don't see it during movies.

On top of that, others I've watched content with have noticed the exact same issue.

What's that issue? A flash of color randomly. It seems to be mostly green, with maybe a little red. It happens very quickly but it's noticeable and others have seen it. At first, I was concerned about my HDMI cable run. Even though it's a very thick cable (High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet - 26AWG CL2 (In-Wall) 3D Ready), it's a 50' run.

I got a powered HDMI splitter that has a signal boost and it's still doing it. Anyway, I'm guessing that an issue with an HDMI cable wouldn't look so "analog" anyway, and would likely involve the signal cutting out as it's a digital transference.

It's a permanent defect and you should get it exchanged. Along with persistent dust issues, my first replacement HT1075 had the same problem. A random and brief flash of green with a little red, just like you described. At first I thought it was a rainbow effect, but it would even happen during dark non-action scenes. It was noticeable towards the upper 1/3rd of the screen.

Though the picture is amazing with this PJ, I would be lying if I didn't say that I am somewhat disappointed in the overall experience thus far because of it's shoddy build quality. While you're at it, check for dust and the manufacture date.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Did you ever resolve this issue? I think I'm seeing the exact same thing on my new HT1075, but wanted to know if you ended getting a replacement. I just started the RMA process to get it exchanged, but am considering a different projector all together if your issue didn't get resolved.

·
Registered
132 Posts
My HT1075 just started doing this as well. Random brief flash of green with red. I contacted BenQ support today and got setup with an RMA for it. I sincerely hope that they send me a HT2050 altogether because this will be the second time(other time was for dust) I've had to RMA my HT1075 and it's warranty is going to expire in a few weeks.

Update: They are replacing mine with the HT2050! Super pumped!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did you ever resolve this issue? I think I'm seeing the exact same thing on my new HT1075, but wanted to know if you ended getting a replacement. I just started the RMA process to get it exchanged, but am considering a different projector all together if your issue didn't get resolved.
I completed the RMA process with the original seller of this (B&H). The new one has had a few hours put on it now and I have not seen any issues. I suppose I should register my new one in case this pops up again. As for others that see this post, the only way I was able to solve this issue was by getting a new projector. I believe the color wheel is stalling or getting out of sync with the video which ultimately causes the visual glitch you can see on the screen. I'm still afraid that there is going to be an issue longer term. Mechanical systems are always prone to failure, eventually! Hopefully I will get some solid years out of this projector though (fingers crossed!).

Thanks for the posts on this issue, convinced me to do something about it instead of be frustrated by it!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Im noticing the same issue with mine now. Can happen every couple minutes to every 10-15 minutes. Pretty annoying and I'm out of warranty but have SquareTrade warranty. I'm sure they'll find a reason to say its not covered.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts