AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
4,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are these things supposed to be ridiculously hard to tighten down?

I have the following:

Chief CMA110 8-Inch Flat Ceiling Plate

Chief - Speed-Connect Adjustable Extension Column CMS012018

Chief RPMAU

I received the drop pipe today and decided to put it all together for a test run. I'm not a wimp and feel like I have a decent amount of hand strength but I found it ridiculously difficult to get the threaded sections to tighten down properly. The instructions say to go a minimum of four threads (which is right around where the non-painted thread ends and the painted threads begin on these parts) but it took a fairly ridiculous amount of force to get things tightened down anywhere near that and I had to break out the WD40 to get the pieces apart again.

Is this common for Chief? I understand the need to have it be strong but this was ridiculous. I can't imagine it needs to be this tight when you consider all the connections also have security screws. I'm not sure I want to give the ceiling plate to my home builder to install if it's going to be this much of a PITA to attach anything to it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The pipe is a Npt thread, which has a flare and every turn tightens to help for a seal.

It is normal for the pipe to get tighter every turn and making it harder to turn vs a straight thread.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Usually I'm able to get a couple of turns by hand before I have to put a wrench to it. I've had pipe that would only engage a couple of turns with a wrench that I had to recut the threads. I would suggest a trip to Home Depot with your pipe and mount and check how they engage with their 1-1/2" fittings.

Good luck

Bob

·
Banned
4,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks everyone. I also found an older thread since I wrote this where a forum member had a similar issue. He was able to get it working by cleaning the threads with a wire brush prior to installation. So I will try that when I get a chance. Just a bit unexpected that a brand with such a reputation for quality would require this. The mount itself is great...I'm going to hit Home Depot tomorrow and buy another length of pipe to make sure the mount survived the ordeal without any damage to the thread. And I'm done with Chief drop pipes. While the coating they use is pretty I don't see it surviving undamaged if I have to use a wrench to tighten it down! I'll ray paint cheap generic pipe instead.

·
Banned
4,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I'm back in business after a trip to Home Depot. I cleaned the threading on the mount with WD40 and a wire brush and touched up the drop pipe where I scratched it while trying to take it apart. I can now get all the connections tightened by hand to the miniumum depth (4 threads...basically the unpainted area of the pipe) without issue.

While I'm a bit disappointed that all this was necessary the equipment is otherwise solid and well designed. I'll just know to give the threads a once over beforehand next time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts