AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, here is my issue, and I hope someone can help (thanks in advance)

I have a projection system set up on the side of my garage so that we can watch movies, sporting events etc. The AV receiver is a Yamaha HTR-6240, which has 4 HDMI inputs, plus a number of AV inputs as well. The Yamaha has a cable box going to one HDMI, a BR DVD to the second, and an x-box to the third, leaving the fourth one available. I decided that I wanted to attach a computer to the system for big screen computer gaming, but I can't seem to make it work, which leads me here.

My computer is self built Win7, and has a GTS 250 with dual DVI outs (I know, I know, not state of the art, but I spent the money on the projector), and I am using the onboard sound from the ASUS M4N75TD motherboard. I knew I could not use the last HDMI input for the computer signal because I would get no sound through it. Therefore, I bought a DVI-to-Component cord to run video to the "AV1" slot, with an optical cable from the computer to the optical port on the AV1 slot on the back of the Yamaha handling the audio. Because I wanted to have a small monitor inside with the equipment, I attached a 15 inch monitor to the second DVI slot on the GTS 250.

Having said all of that, here are my problems. First, I can hook up the 15-inch monitor and it works with no problem. When I attach the DVI-to-Component cord to the second DVI slot on the video card, however, the 15 inch monitor goes blank, I get no video on the projector (even though cycling through the inputs on the stero shows the video is working on the other inputs), and the 15 inch will not come back up, even when the cable is removed from the second DVI slot (forcing a reboot to get video on the 15-inch). I am getting audio from the computer (Pandora, etc.) so I know the audio portion of the link is working, it is just the video that is the problem. Even when I unplug the 15-inch monitor, and just attempt to run video through the DVI-to-Compnent cable through the receiver to the projector, I get nothing. I have tried switching to other ports (AV2, etc.), and the cable works on other equipment, so it does not appear to be related to the receiver or the cables. I first thought it was hooking up two separate monitors at one time that was causing the problem, but when the component video does not work at all no matter what, it confused me quite a bit.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what the problem might be, and any possible solutions (other than buying a GTX 485 and using HDMI).

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Does your GTS250 have an internal SPDIF plug? If it does, connect the SPDIF out on the mobo to your gpu and then use a DVI to HDMI cable to your projector. Avoiding component entirely might solve your problem. And of course, update both sound and video drivers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Drivers are updated. I'm not sure about the internal SPDIF port, but I will check, and you are right, that would solve a lot of the problem. I really appreciate the advice and I will be back later to confirm if it worked or not.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just wanted to say thanks for the help. The video card does not have SPDIF port, unfortunately. I finally got ahold of someone from Yamaha, and they gave me a work around based on their receiver being able to designate audio from one source (in this case AV4 on the receiver) and use an HDMI port for its video feed. I have not been able to test their work around yet, but it makes sense. Anyway, I just wanted to thank mhufnagel for the attempted assist. -- BDJP

1 - 5 of 5 Posts