AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have recently completed setting up my Denon 3805 and have struck this unusual problem I can't seem to solve.

I have the VCR running through the Denon via component.

The TV is also connected to the Denon via component.

THis works well, except when I fast forward or rewind the tape.

The picture on the TV drops out, and the TV eventually gives the "sync signal lost" message. When I take my finger off the FF button the picture returns - some times it's displaying in negative requiring the Denon to be power cycled to reset it. Other times it returns just fine.

This is consistent with any tape in both FFWD and RWIND.

I'm totally stumped as to whether it's something I've set up or the box itself.....

Any insights appreciated.

Cheers

Geoff

· Registered
11,586 Posts
I'm guessing that your VCR is being converted from a composite signal, to a component...

If so, It's in the VCR itself and the way it does the "time base correction", which in fast forward or reverse it probably shuts it off, and that causes the video "sync" to be lost. And that's why you are probably seeing that problem. It's nothing wrong with the 3805, it's a issue that just about any receiver have, when they convert a lesser VCR output signal up to a component output. Fixes are, trying another brand of VCR, and preferably with one that uses a SVHS output.

· Registered
1,762 Posts
I have no experience with component VCR's, in fact I wasn't aware that they even exist, but have you tried S-Video or composite connections?

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The VCR is connected by COMPOSITE not COMPONENT - my fault, was just too much in a hurry to get this posted before I had to go out.

So the VCR -> 3805 is Composite. 3805->plasma is Component.

This never happened when I connected the VCR directly to the plasma.

Thanks

Geoff

· Registered
11,586 Posts
It's a "Time Base Correction" problem with the VCR and the 3805 then.

But there is nothing wrong with the 3805 itself, because it's the VCR that's causing the problem.

Look at the bottom of page 10 of the 3805 owners manual.

And look under the "Cautions on the video conversion function" label. Printed on that page.

· Registered
1,886 Posts
Yes, I agree with Johnla. Some problemas have been reported in the past when some VCR signals are converted to component by Denon receivers (composite or S-video). But this issue depends on the VCR brand and model.

Fortunately, my Toshiba Diomage works properly connected to my 3803. It is a S-VHS VCR, BTW.

· Registered
77 Posts
When I built my first HT (mid-80's), I bought two high-end VCR's (>$1500.00 ea.): a Sony Hi-8 VCR and a Panasonic S-VHS VCR. At that time I also purchased a Pioneer Laserdisc player. These three units all provide S-video outputs. I connected only the component output of the 3805 to my new Hitachi projector. To my dismay both the Sony & Panasonic VCR outputs (converted to component video by the 3805) had that dreaded time base problem and would not synch!!!

Adding an S-video cable cured the synch problem by selecting the S-video input at the projector. (By the way, the component output for the Laserdisc player works fine.)

Anybody out there know of a reasonably priced time base correction unit to solve this problem???

Chasby

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.