AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, here's the deal. I just purchased a Phillips DVDR3400 recorder. Brought it home from Best Buy, pulled everything out, read the instructions, installed it correctly (or so it seems) thus far. Now the only problem is that I cannot use my Comcast digital cable features! Sure, I can use the regular TV remote on the TV source, or I can use the DVDR remote with the AV2 source (since that's where it's plugged into the TV.) But I cannot, for the life of me, get any of my OnDemand or other channels past 125!

Someone, please help! I'm getting so frustrated, after checking the cables twice and going through setup a billion times. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
The channels (100 and up) have to come the Cable Box. A DVD Recorder is not a replacement for a Cable Box. Only a Cable Box can recieve, for example, Video On Demand. Or any premium content. DVD Recorders only have analog tuners, the "100-and-up" channels are digital, analog tuners cannot tune them.

You just need a connection from your Cable Box to your display (which I assume you already have), then another connection from the DVD Recorder to your display (this part would be new). Then a cable feed to the DVD Recorder, so it can record through its tuner, the channels under 100. The last link would be an A/V connection from the Cable Box to the DVD Recorder, so you can record the digital content that only the Cable Box can tune.

(The above connection advice would be no different than connecting a VCR to the same other components by the way.)

·
Registered
3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggsjohnson /forum/post/0

So would I just need another cable, or would I need to buy some other parts, such as a splitter? Thanks for the help.

Your DVD Recorder may pass the incoming RF signal through to its RF Output. So that is effectively an RF Splitter. Some Cable Boxes also do this. So if either of these features is present in your equipment, just another RF cable will suffice, not counting the direct A/V connection from Cable Box to DVD Recorder.

Or maybe your DVD Recorder is already receiving cable . . . from the wall or the Cable Box's RF Output, or an RF Splitter. And by "need another cable" you're referring to an A/V cable from the Cable Box to the DVD Recorder. Then yes, that should do it. One of those A/V cables that come with most any piece of A/V equipment you buy these days. Yellow/White/Red RCA.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggsjohnson /forum/post/0

Alright, here's the deal. I just purchased a Phillips DVDR3400 recorder. Brought it home from Best Buy, pulled everything out, read the instructions, installed it correctly (or so it seems) thus far. Now the only problem is that I cannot use my Comcast digital cable features! Sure, I can use the regular TV remote on the TV source, or I can use the DVDR remote with the AV2 source (since that's where it's plugged into the TV.) But I cannot, for the life of me, get any of my OnDemand or other channels past 125!

Someone, please help! I'm getting so frustrated, after checking the cables twice and going through setup a billion times. Thanks.

I have a connection from my cable box to the EXT 1 input as well as having the coax cable to the ANT in. This allows me to use the internal tuner on the 3400 (for standard cable only), as well as the ability to see digital cable (CBL box acts as the tuner and passes in). The trick here is to use the SOURCE button on your remote to switch to EXT1 and thus view whatever the cable box is outputting. You'll need to change the channel with the CBL remote.

Does that make sense?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.