AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i work at an assisted living facility as a nurse but i usually do the electronic stuff too. so heres my problem WAY before i started they made a cable system that consisted of 9 dtv boxes (all of which only get one channel (SUCKS)) and an arial antenna (needs changed over to digital) so they purchased 4 digital boxes. The only problem is the BOX they have as part of the "cable system" wont accept the digital box because it doesnt register as on channel 3 or 4. i thought about a rf modulator but also has to be on either channel 3 or 4. so.... i the only idea i have is to use the rca's but there are no rca inputs on the BOX (again not digital converter) so im th im thinking maybe a way to use the rca output on the digital converter and change it into coax i belive this would work since rca outputs are not channel specific

i hope this makes sence i would like to figure this out any ideas are appriciated if you have questions please ask

THANKS

DRUNKEN_TIGER

·
Registered
1,363 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrUnKeN_TiGeR /forum/post/15532610

ok i work at an assisted living facility as a nurse but i usually do the electronic stuff too. so heres my problem WAY before i started they made a cable system that consisted of 9 dtv boxes (all of which only get one channel (SUCKS))

dtv boxes? But these are not digital tuners? What are they? Make? Model number?
Quote:

and an arial antenna (needs changed over to digital)

There is no such thing as a "Digital" or "HD" antenna.

A TV antenna is a TV antenna as long as it is a combination UHF/VHF it will receive all analog, digital, and HD television broadcasts.

Quote:

so they purchased 4 digital boxes. The only problem is the BOX they have as part of the "cable system" wont accept the digital box because it doesnt register as on channel 3 or 4.

All of the digital tuner boxes I have seen output on analog channel 3 or 4 and have A/V outputs. So again make and model numbers would be helpful. Specially whatever you are referring to as "the BOX" part of the "cable system".

Quote:

i thought about a rf modulator but also has to be on either channel 3 or 4. so.... i the only idea i have is to use the rca's but there are no rca inputs on the BOX (again not digital converter) so im th im thinking maybe a way to use the rca output on the digital converter and change it into coax i belive this would work since rca outputs are not channel specific

i hope this makes sence i would like to figure this out any ideas are appriciated if you have questions please ask

THANKS

DRUNKEN_TIGER

Um... I don't really understand what you are trying to say here...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok ill try to explain again sorry its kind of difficult to explain.

we have 9 DIRECT TV BOXES going into boxes that make them a specific channel on the cable system. for example the direct tv box is on CNN the box it is hooked to makes it channel 2 on the cable system. there are 9 boxes like this. the other 4 boxes are for locals there are no RCA jacks in the back only 4 coaxial jacks. one for the arial antenna in, one for out to the "Cable system" and the other 2 are jumpered together. i realize that the antenna doesnt need changed i guess i could have worded that differently. the digital box will not work on the system because it the digital box needs to think its on either channel 3 or 4 which it isnt on any channel so it doesnt work

i hope this explains it better

the maintence guy called today and its gonna cost 1200 x 4 to get it fixed there has to be a cheaper way

seems if i could find a way to make RCA (which are non-channel specific) into coaxial without using an RF modulator (also needs to be on channel 3 or 4)

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
It should be pretty easy to add the output of a CECB to a distribution system using simple programmable RF modulators. (usually called an "Agile Modulator") Similar to this. http://www.rackmount-devices.com/014-5991.html Cheaper versions are available. It takes a line input (Yellow/red/white), creates an RF channel and adds it to an antenna system as it passes through the box. They come with one or several inputs an allow you to select the desired output channel(s).

You would add it after the DirectTV combiner and before the first amp. I use one to add the output of my A/V system to my CATV coax on ch125. You will have to set an RF channel that doesn't interfere with the other modulators. (it won't be ch3/4) If possible, you could select channel numbers that match the broadcast number.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts