AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am using my Wii on a computer monitor, as such I am sitting "computer" distance away on a computer desk. I can plop my sensor bar bar on top of my monitor, which by far gives me the best results, or under it even under the keyboard tray if I sit far enough away, problem is its a monitor so I really don't want to sit that far away eventhough I will if I must.

Anyway, I was wondering if there is any solutions to using a wii sensor bar 2-3(like 2.5 estimated) feet away from the actual controller, perhaps I could make my own sensor bar to compensate for distance, problem is I don't know how spread apart I would need to spread the IR sensors for this. Anyway heres a picture of my setup~ not trying to brag photo here just to give you an idea of how it is and suggestions that can be made. (Problem is it gets jumpy at small tilts in the wrong way sitting as close as I do and at normal rest position which was fine when using my TV sitting from far away, ends up pushign the cursor all the way down to the edge of the screen, overdoing it. Tested in Okami~

Anyway thanks ina dvance for any advice, in the image between the monitor and edge of the desk is 1 feet, between the monitor and my chair almost exactly 2 feet which is where I play~

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I don't know, but I am interested in seeing if anyone has ideas. I have a vision problem so I sit within a couple feet of my tv and for games that use the sensor bar that obviously causes issues.

For some games such as mlb 2k8 I am probably 5-10 feet away and it is "decent" at that distance anyway.

·
Registered
136 Posts
If you don't need to use the controller for aiming at the screen, you can put the sensor bar just about anywhere. We had a work tournament for Wii Bowling and I had the sensor bar sitting to the right of the screen by a couple feet. Since we didn't have to aim at any objects, it wasn't a problem. Even on the Wii menu screen with all the TVs, it wasn't tough to navigate as long as you started out by pointing it at the sensor bar. For a FPS type of game though, this might be a lot more difficult.

A possibility would be placing the bar behind the TV, on the wall if possible, so that you still have a clear line-of-sight to it. You just need to increase the distance between the bar and the controller, it doesn't matter where the TV is. I've been too far away before and pulled the sensor bar closer, sitting it on a chair and it worked wonderfully. Works great for bigger TVs and Projectors when you're sitting 20' away but you're not getting the response you want.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
The trick would be getting the IR emitters in the field of view of the wiimote camera at short distances.

You could try putting the sensor under the desk on the floor. As long as you can train yourself to aim below the monitor the actual position shouldn't be a problem. Once you get the cursor on screen it should be easy to aim around.

But you say you're sitting 'computer distance' away from the monitor, that means you're within reach of the keyboard still? Do you feel you're really losing out on perceived size by backing up a until the bar works well? Is it that great of a distance?

If I were in your boat I'd probably get my hands on a second sensor, either by build or purchase, and try some crazy things break up the leds and try sticking them at the extreme ends of the monitor and possibly even have them lower than the top of the screen. Or maybe even shorten the distance between the emitters.

By having a second sensor bar you're a little more free to experiment without worry.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the tips, im going to try a few things, I was thinking abou the wall but line of site issues might be a problem. I'll see what I can do, I might hafta train my hand for a different experience also since Iw as used to pointing at a tv screen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts