AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this problem already in my first post to the forum yesterday, but got 1 response. If someone could read about my problem with my Panasonic Tau CT34WX50 and give me your thoughts and speculations as to what could be causing it, I would truly appreciate it. If this is not the correct forum for this type of issue, please direct me to the right place.

Here's my original post that describes my issue...

Problem with distortions on CT34WX50

Thanks!

Eric

[email protected]

·
Registered
24 Posts
Eric; I am new here and also looking at the Panny Tau 34. My very first suggestion is to get the Avia DVD disk from Amazon and also to go to the following links: http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/usefulinfo.html

REVIEW Panasonic CT-34WX50 HD-Ready TV - The Perfect Vision by Gary Merson: http://www.theperfectvision.com/equi...isplays_11.htm

Between these two sites you can gain some insight and find a source for the Panny Service manual as well. The Avia DVD will help you to tame those bent lines (I think). Good luck

·
Registered
780 Posts
I had that exact problem with bent vertical lines on my CT34WX50 when using it with an RCA DTC-100 due to its mismatched timing. I have not seen it with DVD, or any of the newer STBs including the Mits SR5 which is the same as your Toshiba.

Make sure the Picture level is as low as you can stand it, and go into the advanced menu and set the VM Gain to 0. Also use the Geomagnetic correction screen and adjust that, this will also cause the screen to degauss when you exit.

Remember that on this set the settings will change between 480i, 480p and 1080i as it remembers settings by format not by input.

Tony

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks you guys for your replies. I had given up hope on ever getting any responses. Unfortunately, I've already tweaked this set as much as possible and I spent several months reading all the articles I could find on this TV before purchasing, so I've seen them all. BTW, I wrote Gary Merson about this problem, but he's never repsponded to my email. All the advanced settings are 0, except for the Color Temp settings on a couple inputs. I've got the geomagnetic correction set just right, so there's no tilt and I degauss usually 3 to 4 times a week. Picture setting is between -20 and -25 on every input.

Someone in the HomeTheater Spot forum told me that it was the green that was off in my convergence causing the bad geomotry. I don't know about that, but maybe so.

One recent thing I have noticed, is that the problem is only really noticeable when there is alot of black or dark backround on the screen when text is displayed. And as I said, only in certain areas of the screen. It's most noticeable up around the area where the top of a 2.35:1 image is displayed. Example, I watch a 2.35:1 movie and then bring up my DVD setup menu while it's playing, and any text that overlaps onto the top edge of the image and the black letterbox will be slanted (like it's italicized). But all other text in the image area will look fine.

Oh yeah, a really good example is on the PBS HD stuff. If you get PBS HD, you'll know what I'm talking about. You know right before a program in HD, they display the meesage, "The following program is presented in High-Definition"? This message displays right across the dead center of the screen. And it's ALWAYS slanted! I know it's not meant to be slanted text, but it is on my set! I've even had the TV in service mode with Contrast turn all the way to 0 when this message displays, and when it appears, I turn the Paralellogram all the way to 0 to correct the slant and it's STILL SLANTED!

This is a really strange problem, but it's not so bad that it keeps me from enjoying the set. I love it! Especially with HD. But, as you know, it's one of those annoyances I'd like fixed eventually. I just know if I call Panasonic Service, they send out someone who won't know how to fix it. I recently discovered that there is a ISF calibrator in my area and I'm thinking about having it calibrated. Mabye the ISF Tech can fix it for me, if it's really a convergence issue.

Thanks,

Eric

[email protected]

·
Registered
780 Posts
The problem sounds bad enough that Panasonic really should fix it. There's no reason you should have to pay an ISF tech to fix a basic flaw in the set and worse, they may not be able to if it is electronics related. Give Panasonic a try first.

Tony

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.