AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m having a strange problem with the setup of my Mits SR-HD5(it’s connected to a Mits 46807 but I think this is irrelevant).

I have had the HD5 hooked up as follows: Satellite and Indoor OTA antenna connected to the SAT input and analog cable to the ANT input.

I have been using a Terk diplexor to combine the satellite and antenna. The terk does allow DC pass.

At first I was using a indoor Recoton amplified antenna. This antenna worked quite well in the above setup OTA, satellite, and cable all worked great thru the HD5 (except for the fact that I had to reposition the antenna each time I wanted to change to a different digital OTA channel). I quickly grew tired of getting up – lazy I guess.

Since I live near Raleigh, NC, I sent a copy of my recent 46807 purchase to WRAL and they sent me (for FREE) a Channel Master 3016 VHH/UHF antenna. My wife immediately said that ugly thing is not going on the roof. So, up to the attic we go. I temporarily positioned the 3016 in the attic and connected it to a Rat Shack preamp then ran RG6 from the preamp down the attic opening to the diplexor. This also worked perfectly. In order to have this as a permanent setup I would have to install an outlet in the attic for the preamp and then snake RG6 down the wall. Not wanting to do all of this, I decided to try one more thing first.

FINALLY, the problem: I bought the Rat Shack double bow tie UHF antenna that I have seen many people rave about on the AVS forum. I hooked it up to the diplexor with and without the preamp in between. In both scenarios, the HD5 could no longer see the satellite signal coming in. OTA and cable still came in fine but the HD just kept searching for a satellite signal. If I simply disconnected the antenna from the diplexor, the HD5 immediately recognized the sat.

I even tried moving cable to the diplexor/SAT line and OTA to the ANT input. Same result.

I know it sounds like a diplexor problem but it doesn’t make sense that it works fine with first two antennas and not with the double bow tie.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I plan on visiting Rat Shack today to try out a different

·
Registered
82 Posts
I also had a unique experience with that antenna. I attached the antenna using RG-6 and moved it all around the room, even placing it in front of the window and got virtually no signal. As a last resort, I undid the rg-6 and connected the antenna directly to the back of the module and placed the antenna on it's side up in the compartment next to the receiver. I have been receiving a signal ranging from 72%-85% ever since. To me that makes no sense, but it worked. Since I only have CBS at this point in Nashville I cannot comment on how it will work with other signals, but CBS tower is furthest from my house. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I too have the Mits SR HD-5 STB in a configuration similar to yours. My problem was getting signal strength on higher number 101 bird transponders when mixing the OTA and SAT signals through a diplexer. I switched cables to mix the "cable tv" signal and sat through the diplexer. I ran the OTA by itself to the ant. in on the back of the STB. The signal strength problem went away! Also, I'm running the CM 7775 amp with a CM quad bow tie in the attic. OTA signal strength still stinks but that's a different can of worms...........

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My problem when using the double bow tie diplexed is I get no sat signal from 101 or 119.

Using the other antennas (Recoton or CM) my sat signal strength was unaffected when combined. I was getting 95% on 101 and 75 on 119.

As I said earlier, even combing the Sat and analog cable to the SAT input cause the HD5 to not be able to see the sat signal. So I don't know where the probelm is.

I haven't tried running just Sat to the SAT input and the double bow tie to the ANT input. But that leaves my analog cable out of the loop. The main reason I got the HD5 was to intgrate all 3 sources into the APG.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm certainly no expert but a minimally expensive experiment might be to swap out the diplexer with a new Rat Shack one. If it doesn't help, take it back. Good Luck.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Dear CWallen:

I'm in Nashville also and have attempted to get a strong signal to pick up CBS ever since they started broadcasting last week. I'm now using a Recoton omnidirectional amplified antenna and get signal strength around 70....some of the time. As an example, I wanted to watch the Steelers/Browns game in HD on Sunday but I was only able to get between 40-50 and the picture was dropping more than it was worth. I too started out with the RS bowtie and I had it connected directly to my STB ( an RCA DTC100 by the way ) with no RG6 in between and got nothing. I believe, however, that was caused by the fact that my HDTV is in a finished basement surrounded by a concrete foundation (although I've read other posts in other site forums that said basement reception was ok ). Any ideas on how I can boost the signal strength ? The current amplifier is located near the STB. Can another one be used up the line near the antenna ?

When the signal is above 60 consistently, I get no drops or fades. I can't wait for the other networks to begin their broadcasts because the picture is outstanding.

·
Registered
82 Posts
WhiteOakCt;

This really seems to be a tricky subject when dealing with an indoor antenna setup. I have noticed on mine that even the slightest movement can cause a major change in signal strength. Depending upon your location, just try moving the antenna around the slightest bit, even up and down movements or changing the arc of the antenna can make a big difference. In the end we will all probably have to go to another, larger antenna when all of the stations are up and running! As for the football game, it is an upconverted picture, not true HD. Watch the CBS college game on Saurdays if you want to see real HD in action!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.