AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beginning last night (Wed 8/8) I began having problems watching WNBC-DT & WABC-DT using my Toshiba DST-3000. It appears that both of these changed the way they are sending PSIP information.

Until last night these channels would show up on hte program guide as 4-1 Local ans 7-1 Local respectively. Neither one would display any program information (just "Regular Schedule).

Last night, these channels had disappeared from the Program Guide. On Channels 28 and 45 (WNBC-DT's and WABC-DT's actual channels), the program guide was appearing with the correct program information, but when those channels are selected, there is just a black screen. When 28-1 or 45-1 are selected, "Channel Not Available" is displayed.

When checking the "Local Area" screen, both channels 28 and 45 are showing up as Analog sources (which is why I am assuming that I can't get the digital signal).

I've tried resetting the STB by unplugging it. After replugging it, I can get to 4-1 and 7-1 by tuning to 28-1 and 45-1 respectively. But that only works until the STB scans the local channels (which I can't prevent).

I have found a (horrible) way areound this by going to the "Signal Strength" screen and tuning into 28 or 45. Then going immediately to the "Local Area" screen and setting the "Local In 1" connector to "None", when I exit the menu, the screen will tell me that I am tuned into whatever channel I was on before entering the menu, however, the signal will be the digital channel that I selected while in the "Signal Strength" screen.

Is anyone else having this problem and does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by ilkevinli:
I havent been able to.
Have you had any success in getting in touch with engineering from either of these stations?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hi Bill.

I left a message for the contact in ABC and I emailed the email address I was given for NBC. No one has yet to get back to me.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Bill, did you ever resolve this problem. I'm having the exact problem. Mits hd-500 receiver.

John

·
Registered
283 Posts
Well the problem seems to have been fixed .

I now have 4-1 and 7-1 back and now 38-1 is mapped to 9-1 also. YAY !!!!

[This message has been edited by ilkevinli (edited 08-15-2001).]

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
NICE!!!!

Did anyone from either of these stations ever respond to your messages? Did you mention this forum to either (or both) of these stations? It would be nice if we would get people from all of the local stations to at least become lurkers of the forum. It has to be a great free Quality Control resource for them.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I did get a hold of someone from ABC but he didnt sound to interested in the problem. I emailed the contact person for NBC TWICE and I never received a response. I did however make a post in the HDTV Yahoo newsgroup the other day, and maybe someone read that.

·
Registered
750 Posts

I talked with a local station engineer here in Atlanta today. It seems that they just upgraded their PSIP encoder at the end of last week. I wonder if the stations in your area did the same thing and this had an effect? Here, it ended up changing our 10-3 station to 10-1. My understanding is that the PSIP upgrade was intended to fix some audio problems with some STB's and other STB incompatibility issues (he mentioned Zenith by name). Getting a hold of the engineer at the stations would be the only way to confirm this.

------------------

-Jason

·
Registered
165 Posts
On my DTS3000 I noticed last night that WWOR_DT (digital channel 38) mapped for the first time to channel 9-1. Previously I could only select it as channel 38-1 on my Local Area 2 input.

I switched to Local Area 1 (Cablevision) where MSG-DT is available on digital channel 38 (tuned in as 38-1). Now I find that MSG-DT is also fooled into remapping to channel 9-1, but still receives MSG-DT in HDTV.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Here's a related thread in the HDTV Programming Forum:
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum20/HTML/004195.html

It sounds like DirecTV just updated their APG guide information to be more complete and to remap more stations.

Here in Atlanta, we used to have local analog stations' guide info (even OTA stations that weren't transmitted by DirecTV). This week, they have apparently added the digital stations to the guide. In other areas, it sounds like DirecTV's guide has begun to remap the digital stations as well using the APG feature on Hughes, Toshiba, and Mits tuners.

------------------

-Jason

·
Registered
713 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ilkevinli:
I now have 4-1 and 7-1 back and now 38-1 is mapped to 9-1 also. YAY !!!!
I did a rescan last night. WWOR-DT did not map to 9-1, but WABC-DT did have progam guide info. I haven't noticed that before. Do you still have PSIP for 9-1?

Rich

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It didn't appear immediately after doing a scan for me, but eventually the re-mapping took place. I agree with JasonATL that this remapping is a result of DirecTV and not the stations themselves. If I remember correctly, WCBS and WYNY have changed on the guide from WCBS-HD and WYNY-HD to WCBSDT and WYNYDT respectively shortly after the problems with WNBCDT and WABCDT were fixed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.