AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think this is a "bug" in the DST3000 software, but it could be something goofy with the signals being put out by one of my local DTV stations (WISC-TV).

They use channel 3 for analog and channel 50 (virtual channel 3-1) for digital. But the guide on my DST3000 shows two digital channels: 3-1 and 3-2. Another local DTV station (WB) is also using virtual channel 3-2.

By default, my guide brought up all 3 WISC stations. If I go to 3 or 3-1, I get ANALOG - if I enter 3-2 I get digital. To get to WB 3-2 I have to go to 3-1 and then CHANNEL DOWN to get to the WB 3-2!

Seeing there is some type of conflict, I went to the menu and disabled the analog 3-1, thinking it would now prefer the "digital" 3-1 channel. But when I enter 3-1, I get the ANALOG one! If I go to 3, then CHANNEL DOWN, I get the DIGITAL 3-1!

Weird!!

Who's at fault here? The box or my station?

[This message has been edited by Stele (edited 10-11-2001).]

·
Registered
750 Posts
I suspect that DirecTV is partially to blame. My understanding is that the guide info is what is mapping your channels to virtual channels (this started "working" for me a couple of months ago when DirecTV upgraded the guide info being sent out). I don't have a solution for you. However, I've experienced some weirdness with my DST-3000 channel mapping a couple of times. It seems weird that two stations were assigned or use the same DT frequency.

First, try rescanning the local channels. Then, try entering in your zip code for your local area again (change it, then change it back to force it to reload the guide data).

You might also try the following. Enter channel 50-1 (I think you said that the station broadcast DT on channel 50?). This is the channel that you would use if it were not mapped back to 3-1. When I do this, it goes to 50-1, then jumps to 3-1 (or just changes what channel it says it is on, since it is really tuning the actual channel and reporting the virtual channel). This fixed the anomaly that I had for me (it was saying "channel does not exist" when I tried going to the virtual channel).

------------------

-Jason

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.