Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Had a chance to pickup an ECP 3000 from Curt, who was extremely gracious by the way (never, ever, try to find his place at night, but do be sure to pick up a projector from him!), but have recently noticed a problem that is interrupting my viewing enjoyment (I'm extremely impressed by the picture quality, even on the most rudimentary of temporary screens it looked fantastic after a decent mechanical setup). I've emailed Curt, but I have seen firsthand how busy he is so I'm hoping other forum members may be able to offer their insight.

The problem manifests itself in the form of an intermittent flash of horizontal distortion. It's hard to describe, but looks somewhat similiar to the white noise you may see from a vcr with a worn head, a white "blip". The distortion doesn't occur in one specific part of the screen, sometimes at the top, other times at the bottom or middle. It basically looks like a white flash across the horizontal, of varying size, but never very large. Hugely noticeable if you are watching a widescreen image.

This problem generally doesn't occur when the projector is first powered up, but gradually becomes worse after warm up, noticeable after about 20-30 minutes. Looking at the CRT faces when the distortion starts to occur, there is also an intermittent small dot of light that blips across at the bottom of the crt faces, it seems to occur on all 3 tubes outside of the picture area used on the crt face. This flash doesn't occur at the same time as the onscreen disturbance, but it only seems to occur once the disturbance starts to kick in (seem I've read as many ECP related threads that I could find, but haven't come across any ideas that may alleviate this. I haven't had much time to spend with the projector, but it did operate symptom free for at least 10 hours prior to this. All status lights on the back appear fine, indicating no problems.

I've tried checking as much as I can with my limited experience/knowledge. The CRT is being driven by a HTPC (ATI 128) at 720x480p @ 72 HZ connected by typical RGB/BNC wiring, in either 4 bnc w/ t connector or 5 bnc (tried to see if v/h synch locking was causing the problem but combined or seperate synch produces the same results, as does auto or manual synch). I've tried changing refresh rates and resolutions in range of the projector but no dice. Forced positive and forced negative synch without any effect. Reseated all boards accessible via rear panel and reseated IC's, etc. Hard reset and complete mechanical setup (based on 1.5W and 1.6W throw distances) and convergence hasn't changed anything. Geometry and other user changable options are close to default settings and are not excessive. Looking at the CRT face it doesn't appear that the picture is set beyond the raster (what exactly is the procedure for resizing the rasters on ECP 3xxx units? Are there internal pots/controls that can change this?) Mount position isn't changing much, at least with regards to floor or center mounts (can't ceiling mount in this loft :eek: )

Any ideas what might be causing this guys? Thanks in advance for any input :)

·
Registered
18,501 Posts
Looks like I can make it over to see you this weekend, either Sat night or Sunday afternoon/night. give me a call at (604) 421-8423 to arrange a time.

cirt

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
It's noisy power or grounding problems, most likely.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.