Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I just got my first CRT projector
and it seems to have some problems. First when powering it up and going to the menus the image is on the screen as multiples overlapping itself so it was almost impossible to read the texts. Image attached about this.

After a while I ended up in the Move menu and adjusted it to 'No move' and the overlapping stopped almost completely. Also with option "HMove Hor" everything is OK. But when going to "VMove vertical" or the next option the screens goes crazy again. So it seems that there's something with vertical adjustments. After getting the image to settle it still bounces randomly up and down sometimes and there seems to be a little movement on the image all the time.

I have understood that this unit should handle e.g. Vga 800x600/60Hz but it looks like it doesn't get hold on the sync.. And at the moment I don't have any other source to feed this.. Or should YUV output on my dvdplayer work with proper wires?

So here's the first questions, propably there's much more to come. It would be nice to get this thing fixed because the tubes are in very good condition except a slight wear on the blue. I have already taken out all the cards but they all look ok. All help is very appreciated =).

tia

- enz

·
Registered
165 Posts
Your sync problem is probable due to a source problem. My ECP doesn't sync if there is not a good source plugged in even when in your convergence menu. I have mine hooked up with rgbhv and should correct any sync problems. your overlay problem may be due to loose computer chips on your sub convergence board. Take it out and push hard on all the plug in computer chips to properly seat them. While you have that access panel off do a hard reset. Hopefully that may solve alot of your problems. It did for me.

Trent

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did remove all the boards and push the chips that were on sockets.. Maybe I'll have to do that again today just to be sure. Could this kind of behaviour be caused by bad(dry?) capasitors on the boards and where to start looking? Everything looked ok but there may be bad ones because this one is manufactured in '92. Just wondering why the menus don't even display correctly if there's no proper source connected.

And then, what would be a good source? I tried hooking it to my pc with 800x600/60Hz resolution but it didn't seem to sync.

-enz

·
Registered
165 Posts
computer is a good source but your cord might not be. You need a good breakout cable to RGBHV BNC connectors. Not BNC to RCA adapters or some weird conversion like that. It doesn't sync in the menu withought a souce because it needs the H V sync.

Trent

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a proper VGA to BNC cable (HD15 => RGBHV). I used to use it with my old monitor and it worked just fine. But when connecting to the projector with this cable all I get is scrambled screen :( . What am I doing wrong or is there really something wrong with this projector?? The videocard I am using is a Ati Radeon R8500LE. Tried with 800x600/60 and some other small resolutions with PowerStrip.

I am getting desperate to get this to work... It would be nice to see a image projected.. Getting sick watching the Convergence menu :rolleyes:

I took out the convergence board and pushed all the chips again, but it's just the same as before. The menu jumps up and down randomly and the vertical move adjustements get the screen going wild :confused: .

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Get a BNC 'T' connector and combine the H and V sync cables and put them into the composite sync input right below the blue BNC connector. The odd ECP won't lock properly to separate H and V sync.

Let us know!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok I got BNC T-connector today and combined the sync signals to the CSync but still nothing.. What am I doing wrong or is there something wrong with this unit..

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok some more info.. I was playing around with resolutions after I realized that I could use my tv as display when the bnc cable is connected for the pj :) . So I was changing resolutions and watching the screen if it would show something else than weirdness.. Then I noticed that sometimes just after resolution change the image was shown on the screen ok but this was only for a second or so and then it went back to scramble.. So any ideas what's wrong? Something wrong with holding the syncs? I am using the BNC T-connector to combine the sync signals now... I am starting to lose my nerves with this :mad: :cool:

tia,

- enz

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just noticed that when inputting signal to pj and pressing the h.hold button to change between auto and manual the image is projected correctly for a moment when coming to AUTO mode from manual.. Any ideas where to start fixing =). Atleast I got to see the image for almost a second :rolleyes: . And I took out all the cards once again and pushed all the chips on the sockets and checked all the capacitors but they all look ok.. :) .

·
Registered
594 Posts
Do a HARD reset first to clear out any old garbage. This is done by pressing the red button on the back of the remote board and then pressing either "RECALL" or "RESET" on the remote control (depends on code level). The projector should power off. When you power it on you'll need to first select the correct input and then do a complete setup from the help menu.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have done that Hard Reset today and then set up the pj, but no luck with that either =/. Pressing the H.Hold and switching between manual and auto does get the screen to get sync for a moment but then it looses it I think.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Today I started to test if it was possible to sync the HSync manually and now I have a image on the screen :p . But All ideas how to fix that AUTO mode to work all appreciated. It sure is nice to get something out of this :) . I Hope I'll get it fixed completely with your help..

tia,

-enzie

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There seems to be some problems with the manual H.Hold also. Sometimes it loses sync suddenly for some reason and at the same time some relay makes a switching sound. Usually switching power off and on brings the image back. Any ideas anyone? Is there any good sites on the web for the ECP series with some troubleshooting tips etc..

tia,

-enzie

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hey enzie

When you adjust the Hsync manually It lists the horizontal refresh rate and the vertical refresh rate. You should check that those numbers corrispond with what you are actually feeding the unit. Also when you say the autosync hold for a second the loses it check those numbers too.

I vaguely recal there being some jumpers on the back of the unit that controls when its in High band and when it in Low band if they are set wrong I believe the unit will not operate properly.

Do you have a copy of the service manual it says there how they should be set.

Brian

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGogo
Hey enzie

When you adjust the Hsync manually It lists the horizontal refresh rate and the vertical refresh rate. You should check that those numbers corrispond with what you are actually feeding the unit. Also when you say the autosync hold for a second the loses it check those numbers too.

I vaguely recal there being some jumpers on the back of the unit that controls when its in High band and when it in Low band if they are set wrong I believe the unit will not operate properly.

Do you have a copy of the service manual it says there how they should be set.

Brian
I think there's no jumper for that in this set. I think it's selected automatically whether it's in low or high band.

The values for the syncs seem to be ok. Powestrip values are 31.3 kHz and 59.7 Hz and PJ shows 31.3 and 59.7 when image is manually adjusted.

Is there any detailed schematics available for these to see what could cause this sync problem..

-enzie

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yesterday I was playing again with the PJ and noticed that when the H.Hold is lost in the Manual mode it changes from low band to high at the same time. The difference is now that I can't get the sync back without powering the PJ off and on again. Any ideas anyone? Or do I have to start looking for a working Horizontal driver board or what? :confused:

-enzie

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just noticed that when the PJ loses the H.Hold sync and changes to high band it shows that horizontal sync is much higher that I am feeding to it. I am feeding it with ~33KHz horizontal but after losing sync and changing the band it shows values from 33kHz to 66kHz depending how many times I press the H.Hold to Auto. Anyone have any ideas?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.