AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am temporarily using a 25 y/o, 13", b/w CRT TV until I can decide whether to buy a new TV or repair my broken one. I have this temporary TV plugged into a power strip on the top electrical outlet (connected to a wall switch), whereas my broken TV and cable box are/were plugged into a surge protector on the bottom outlet. I noticed that when the heat/furnace kicks in, the borders of the TV screen shrink a little for just a split second. It looks like the TV is about to turn off. Why does this happen and would a surge protector prevent that from happening? I'm just concerned because I don't know if this is why two of my CRT TVs broke. I don't want to buy a new TV only to have it break because there's a problem with the outlets. If it makes any difference, I'm told that the wiring/circuit breaker in my house is piggybacked.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
I think you should watch less TV. Stick with the old 13" b/w TV.

Most surge protectors would not prevent that from happening. Some more costly ones would.

Low level power surges may shave some years off your TV's lifespan, but may not. It's more of a concern for people who buy really expensive TVs, and source components.

But if it is worth it to you, for peace of mind, then look into power conditioners.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
When the heavy current draw items kick on, you are having a substantial voltage drop in the outlet feeding the TV. The TV is fine. The problem will not be corrected by a surge strip or power conditioner of the garden variety.

·
Registered
22,656 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu87 /forum/post/19529258

I don't want to buy a new TV only to have it break because there's a problem with the outlets. If it makes any difference, I'm told that the wiring/circuit breaker in my house is piggybacked.

Contact a licenced electrician. They will be able to test and and provide a remommendation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts