Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have the Philips 30PW850H HDTV and a Sanyo DVD Player. The player is progressive scan and when in progressive mode, my TV does not allow you to change the format (eg. 16:9, 4:3, zoom 16:9 etc.). Now i have several older dvd's that are fullscreen and when i play them the picture is screcthed horizontally and I cannot change the TV's format. What I was wondering, is it the dvd players job to add black bars on the side of fullscreen movies with the player is set to display on a 16:9 tv just as it adds black bars on a 16:9 movie when it is set to display on a 4:3 tv? I acutally am borrowing the sanyo player and was thinking of buying the Pioneer DV-563A. Any suggestions and help on this problem would be appreciated. Thanks

Ryan

P.S. just so everyone know, I prefer widescreen dvd's but several older movies are only 4:3.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Some DVD player models do have that window-box feature for 4:3 titles on 16:9 displays, but most don't. The JVC models have this feature and the new Mitsubishi models do too. You should switch to one of these other DVD models for a set that locks to FULL mode in 480p or else you need to switch to interlaced mode for 4:3 and non-anamorphic titles - that sucks. The new model JVC XV-N40BK has this feature and has a $20 rebate offer now, so its available as low as $65 online with the rebate, an excellent bargain with lots of features including automatic window-box of 4:3 titles for 16:9 display.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good suggestion, I'll have to look into it. The reason that I had my eye on that Pioneer is that it has support for SACD, DVD-Audio, as well as built in decoders for DTS and Dolby Digital. My receiver only decodes DD, so having a DVD with 5.1 analog out is very attractive. Since my only fullscreen movies are Chirstmas Vacation and Its a Wonderful Life, I guess I could just use my PS2 in interlace mode for those since they (especially Its a Wonderful Life) would not benefit from the progressive out. It seems that a dvd player with the option for a 16:9 tv should also have the option of how you want the 4:3 movie to be played.

Thanks for the reply.

Ryan

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
I think their is a JVC model around $175 that also has DVD-audio plus DD/DTS deoding and 5.1 analog outpus as well, plus all the JVC features like window-boxing.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I have a solution. I am currently using my HTPC with a radeon 9700 pro with the ATI dongle to output 1080i resolutions. I then use the dvd software to scale the dvd to 1920x960i which has given me the best picture i have seen from a dvd. Now since i am using a software player, i have full control over the aspect ratio of the dvd even thought my tv set does not allow it. Thanks for all the suggestions thought.

Ryan

·
Registered
28,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by oryan_dunn
What I was wondering, is it the dvd players job to add black bars on the side of fullscreen movies with the player is set to display on a 16:9 tv just as it adds black bars on a 16:9 movie when it is set to display on a 4:3 tv?
To answer this question: No, this is a design flaw in the television, not the DVD player. It should not be the DVD player's job to add bars to the sides of 4:3 content. However, so many televisions are afflicted with this stupid design flaw that some DVD players do offer the windowboxing feature in order to get around it. But most DVD players do not.

If you own a DVD player that does not offer a 4:3 windowboxing mode, the only way to get around this problem is to disable progressive scanning on non-anamorphic discs. Then turn it back on when watching anamorphically-enhanced widescreen discs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.