AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK hopefully someone can help me out here. I have a Hughes e86 HD receiver and it's been working fine since May. Today I turn it on to watch some TV and I can't pick up anything, everything is black and the guide does not come up. I've reset it a few times and I even went upstairs to check the connections and I switched the cable over to another output.....nothing


I noticed on reboot that I cannot pull down the program guide and after several minutes it just stops trying and I get all black screens. What I have noticed is that when I go into setup I'm picking up all the transponders on satellite B and C but only the odd ones on A. Does this mean anything? The receiver seems to be getting good signal strength from all but the even transponders on A.


Any help would be appreciated thanks.


Morris
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,093 Posts
You probably are not able to load the guide for the same reason half your Sat A transponders are out. If you have another receiver, see if it will work in that position.


It sounds like the problem is in the dish area though. The even transponders come through the 18V Sat A leg of the multiswitch. You don't say what kind of dish you have. If it is a Phase III with a built in multiswitch, you may need to replace it. If it's the older 18x24, run a cable directly from the Sat A LNB to the receiver or switch outside LNBs. If it still cannot get all transponders on Sat A with a direct cable run, replace the LNB. Do that also if an LNB switch causes the even transponders on Sat B to get lost.


If it can get all transponders with a direct hookup or an LNB switch makes no difference, replace the cable from the Sat A 18V to the LNB. If that doesn't do the trick, replace the multiswitch.


All this is assuming you get even transponders on B and C so you know the STB is putting out the correct 18V signal for even transponders.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
532 Posts
Same problem here was resolved about a month ago by re-alignment of the azimuth/elevation of the dish (brought the weaker transponders up considerably to the readings of the initial install) and disconnecting the Sat A multiswitch inputs and the outputs and re-attaching them (they were no longer as snug as they were on initial install, only finger-tight). Not sure if the true fix was realignment or the multiswitch connections, but my other receiver (non-HD) had just started the "Searching for satellite' message intermittently prior to the re-alignment and is now also working properly. Even though some of the transponders were in the 80s and 90s prior to the re-alignment, I had a couple in the low 50s. The readings are considerably higher now, so a re-align was in order anyway.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top