Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have a Sony 32 xbr-100 that I finally had calibrated. The tech is very experienced and looked like he could use the Philips in his sleep. The problem is that although he turned of color correction in the user menu(movie mode), apparently it was still on in the service mode. When he was done calibrating in the service mode and exited out, the color bars showed the ugly greenish yellow on the yellow bar. He quickly turned on color correction and said that I would have to leave that on.

I assumed that calibrating with color correction on would just adjust it out but after living with the set for a few days, I have found that it affects the over all picture in a negative way.

One of the reasons I wanted the set calibrated was that I hated having to have the color corrrection on all the time. Now I'm noticing pushed reds in brown, grey and beige areas.

I've emailed him and haven't heard back yet.

What do y'all think?

thx

bob

·
Registered
271 Posts
Hi Bob,

Glad to hear you went for the ISF calibration after all!

It sounds like the tech may not have calibrated the color decoder. As shipped this set pushes red like crazy. Color decoder alignment (other than that available from the User menu) is not part of a standard ISF calibration. However, this set is one of very few whose color decoder is completely adjustable, permitting near perfect color decoding. So it is a crime not to have it done.

This is completely separate from the gray scale calibration and is done by eye and filters, not with the Philips analyzer. When everything is dialed in, the yellow bar should indeed be slightly greenish - it's when it's orangish that you are pushing red.

I won't provide the alignment procedure on the forum, but the ISF tech is welcome to contact me directly for assistance. There are other optimizations he or she may have overlooked as well, such as black level retention etc. When everything is right this set produces an amazing image which can surpass that of nearly any other NTSC consumer set.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I had ISF calibration done and was disappointed. And this was one of the well known guys. After calibration the picture was no better than what I had done with AVIA, in fact the guy screwed up the geometry. Lines that had been straight started to show curves.

I mentioned this before and someone said that maybe my expectations were too high. So decide for yourself. If you expect ISF calibration to improve your TV picture, you may be asking for too much.

Fortunately I have fixed most of the problem by going into the service menu myself.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is his reply:

"I think that I went over this issue with you on the red push. The only way

to completely get rid of this is to put that red attenuation in line on the

red line and that I don't do as a practice. If you are finding that the

picture seem to look better with out the color correction on that's fine but

when I correct for that circuit being off then the red push will be back. I

hope that I have explained this so that you understand the situation with

the Sony. The grey scale on your set was definitely off and the decoder was

not phase correct and I did fix that. We did view the different sources and

both agreed that tings were better all the way around. I want you to be

happy of coarse but I don't know that another visit will make you any

happier after we try it the other way."

(We never discussed red push or attenuators)

bob

·
Registered
292 Posts
On most Sonys the red push is largely correctable in the service menu. This might be a good idea if you are knowledgeable and/or brave. Send me an Email if you want more information.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.