AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this is an OK forum to post this problem. I have tried posting this two other places and have yet to get a response.

I have a DL Memorex DVD burner (16xDVD+R, 8xDVD-R) running Windows 98se. I use Nero 6 to burn my DVDs. I recently got a very good buy on some new 16x Memorex DVD-Rs. I assumed I could use them but that they would just burn at 8x. The first one I tried I got a burn error, so I went to Memorex's site and found a firmware upgrade for my DVD. After installing the upgrade, I had a major Windows crash which necessitated my reinstalling Windows 98. After doing so, I still had no luck burning the new 16x DVDs. (Windows Device manager confirms the new firmware for the DVD burner.) I then went to Nero's site and upgraded my version of Nero using an update dated 8/5/05. Still no luck. I can still burn a 8x DVD-R, but what is curious is that Nero now lists the maximum speed of my burner as 4x not 8x for DVD-Rs. Does anyone have any ideas about this? Even if I can't use the 16x DVD-Rs in my burner, how do I get Nero to recognize that the burner is 8x.

If the people here think it appropriate, I will gladly post in another forum.

Thanks.

SMK

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Can't give you any advice about the hardware or software, but as far as the media goes.... if you search this forum for the words "Memorex" and "coaster" I think you'll quickly discover that buying Memorex discs is a Bad Idea.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Sean- Another way of saying it...if you go to the dictionary and look up 'coaster' next to it will be a picture of a 'Memorex' disc.

It's ironic that a new Memorex burner won't even recognize its' own media. But, I've read here that Memorex doesn't make its' own media. While I haven't had problems with Memorex or any other media I've used including, Imation, Fuji, TDK, Maxell (Taiwan or Japan) and Prodisc. I suggest you try Tayio Yuden. go to supermediastore.com. They have a lot of 4X, 8X and 16X TY media. They are considered the best along with Verbatim.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I appreciate the responses, but I think you guys are missing the point. I understand about bad media, but the problems here are 1) the DVD Burner not even being able to recognize 16x DVD-Rs even with new firmware, and 2) Nero now reporting that the maximum speed of my DVD burner is only 4x. Interestingly, since I posted this here I did make a copy of a DVD using Shrink (which uses Nero for burning), and when it started burning indicated it was burning at 8x. The length of time it took to burn suggests it was 8x.

In terms of media, I have to disagree with problems with Memorex. I have both a Memorex DVD burner in my PC and a Panasonic E85. I have never had a problem with burning about 300 DVDs using Memorex 8x DVD-Rs. Instead, multiple brands that others say they never have problems with have given me problems. I've never had a coaster with Memorex, but I have with Fuji, Sony, TDK (they were actually the worst), and Maxell; even the ones made in Japan. Of course YMMV, but that isn't the problem here.

SMK

·
Registered
370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyGBiv
Even if I can't use the 16x DVD-Rs in my burner, how do I get Nero to recognize that the burner is 8x.
It shouldn't matter what Nero Info Tool indicates as write speed, what really matters is the actual write speeds available for burning. This may have something to do with Win 98/ME, and not a big deal unless you are willing to upgrade to Win XP.

Your Memorex burner is probably a rebadge of the Lite On SOHW-1633S, you can check out the following link for the latest firmware:

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.ph...&manufactor=20

or just to make it a real Lite-On drive and get better firmware support if you are up to the task. Since Memorex is just a brand name and specializes in channel distribution, but not a manufacturer of anything, it's no surprise that sometimes their media may not work properly with their burners. According to videohelp.com, the 16X Memorex DVD+R media could be made by CMC, MCC, Philips or Prodisc dye. You just need to find the real OEM and hope for their latest firmware updates supporting the media.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Swallowtail. I guess the only question is will trying the LiteOn firmware destroy my drive, and can I go back to the Memorex one if I don't like the LiteOn firmware? If I go to the LiteOn version of the Memorex drive, it indicates that the latest firmware upgrade supports 12X DVD-R. So, I may try it. I have put in a request to Memorex for assistance, and we'll see what they have to offer.

Thanks a lot.

SMK

·
Registered
43 Posts
There might be a fix but I am not sure as I use winxp.

I have a LG 16x and I had the same problem and found a way to fix it.

Here is where I went
http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91

I use a program to identify the dvd and then another program to modify the firmware but then the warranty is void and there is always the chance you could ruin your dvd burner. Just passing info on.

My memorex 16x was burning at 4x and I thought it was my computer and spent two days trying different things and foundthe cd freak site which showned how to get it to work right.

Pat

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pat,

Thanks for the tip. I went to that web site and after a lot of reading found that my Memorex burner is really a rebadged LiteON model. By changing firmware to the LiteOn model, I was able to get the burner to recognize and burn the 16x discs (at 12x even higher speed than the original 8x it was rated at!). All I have to do now is get the light to work when it is burning a disc, but that seems a minor issue at this point.

Thanks for the help.

SMK

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.