AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a house that has a in-wall speakers in all of the rooms. The speakers are hooked up to wall-mounted volume knobs in each room. Each of those knobs is then wired into a Phoenix Gold SAM-200 Impedance Matching device. The old owner suggested, I could just plug my amp or reciever into the SAM-200 speaker inputs and then listen to music in any of the rooms.

I tried this, and the problem I have is that in every room, one speaker has a lower level than the other. I swapped the L and R outputs from my amp into the SAM-200 unit, and still the same side has a much lower level. I emailed phoenix gold, any they suggested adjusting the impedance level for lower side on the SAM. That didn't seem to help as the sound remained the same.

I'm thinking of purchasing a new SAM-200 unit because I think the one I have may be defective. However I wanted to post here to see if anyone had ideas on anything else to try out before going down this path.

--Omar

·
Registered
683 Posts
Omar - did you try by passing the Phoenix unit entirely? Pick a room and hook those speakers up directly to your amp, if the problem is gone then you know it is the Phoenix unit.

My guess based on what you are saying is you have a bad Phoenix unit.

Reed.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good idea - that should verify my theory. Is it possible that anything wrong with the speaker or volume control wiring in one of the rooms is causing the problem? I shouldn't think so.

However, I will try connecting the amp directly to each room one at a time to make sure all of them work properly.

Does anyone have a Phoenix Gold SAM-200 installed? Would you recommend I continue to use this as the speaker distribution system? Any other issues folks might have experienced with it? I'd like to continue using it because there is already a cut-out in my living room wall where the unit fits.

Omar

·
Registered
322 Posts
Omar,

We use the sam 200 and sam 100 units and haven't seen a bad one yet. Another possibility is that a volume control possibly has a short in it like one strand of the wire jumping the terminals causing a drain on your power, but not enough of a short to burn it up. Try putting a meter on the inputs to the sam200 to make sure your amp is seeing a 4 ohm impedence(or roughly 3.5 ohms)and also on the lines going to the vol controls. But like Reed said, it does sound like you have a bad unit.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Its been a while, but.... If I remember correctly, you can adjust the tap points on the load resistor on those units separately for Right & Left.

jcmitch

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried adjusting the tap points (ie - moving the slider up/down) that didn't seem to make a difference at all.

I've also tried hooking up the speakers for one room directly to the amp and they then worked fine.

I want to isolate that its not a short in the volume selector, so I'm going to try each room to the amp directly to make sure all work fine individually, and if so look into getting a new SAM-200.

Any recommendations of where to buy one?

·
Registered
322 Posts
For a meter you can get a cheapie from radio shack for $15-20. Or if you plan on using regularly the rest of your life you can get an expensive one like a Fluke for a few hundred.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Turns out there was a short, or something wrong, in one of the rooms wired into the SAM. I connected each room individually to my amp, and one of the rooms was exhibiting one speaker dropping on/off as I adjusted the volume control. I disconnected that room from the SAM unit, plugged the amp back into the SAM, and voila, all the other rooms now work.

Thanks for the suggestions Erik. Saved me the cost of getting a new SAM unit for no reason. I'll have to figure out what's wrong with that one room, but for now, at least I've got music in the rest of my house :)

Omar

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.