AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I try to upgrade my vision through the parallel cable and run the rev 093303 and hers is what is happened

Flask check OK

serial 0

reading config data

erasing flash.....about to erase

done

writing sw flash.........

writing sw flash.com write timed out, data=e59ff014

/since my vision do not want to work whan I press the remote to power on nothing happen,

I do not know what to do.

Please help me.

Regards

bruno

·
Registered
414 Posts
Bruno, Just run it again. You may want to check your cable if it fails to update and then run it again. You may have lost your config data, so when it does work you may have to set it up again.

Patrick

·
Premium Member
8,099 Posts
it's possible it's a hardware issue, a cable issue or a rate issue (i.e., you're currently set to a rate that your display doesn't accept). Who says it all has to be firmware?

Try hooking it up to another screen (a computer one, for example).

If there's a reset button, try resetting the unit.

If all else fails, give the Lumagen tech support guys a call.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As I try many times to order from you the cable adpater I made my own with a parralel cable and follow strictly the instruction to connect. I made the 5 connection on the 10 pin header.

I try many times to make the upgrade, verify my cable but nothing to do!

the vision led turn on when i try to upgrade but keep off whan i try to use it.

I am deperate, I spend my all day to solve this.

It is not so easy as written in the internet site.

Thanks patrick to support me.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi guys,

English is my second language and I'm having a little hard time understanding the process on the lumagen website. Is there any way that someone with the technical expertise can post a step by step (with pics), more elaborate way, of creating one of those parallel port adapters for the vision. This would really help me out a lot and maybe other members. Well, you guys have a good one. Thanks.

Pedro

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:) :) Great, i decide to change and to pick up another parallel cable and make another connecting cable.

Waouh, it works , I have better done changing first my cable it may be broken inside at one part.

Thanks All

For pedro, unfortunately I do not have a numeric photo to shox you how to made this but it is quite easy.

Follow step by step chat is written on the side.

·
Registered
499 Posts
FYI -

The Lumagen parallel port upgrade application expects to find the Windows IO.SYS file in the hard-coded path: \\winnt\\system32\\drivers. If your system has Windows installed anywhere else it won't work (e.g., \\windows). A workaround is to create a \\winnt\\system32\\drivers directory and copy the IO.SYS from wherever it was originally installed to that directory. Copying that one file makes it work.

Patrick Harkin says he will try to get the upgrade application fixed.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Just a follow-up to my firmware upgrade experience....

After working around the above problem with the upgrade program, I was able to successfully start the upgrade application. It then complained about not being able to read the unit's serial number, saying that it read ffff (hex for all binary ones, usually the result of reading uninitialized flash memory). After that it prompts the user asking whether to REALLY go ahead, having failed to read a valid serial number. I double checked the parallel port cable I had created per their instructions and then decided to go ahead with the upgrade anyway. Well, it worked fine. And I've since upgraded again with no problems. It now reports that my unit's serial number is 0 but the OSD version screen reports a nonzero serial number. So I'm not quite sure why it failed to get a valid serial number (the unit is relatively new -- shipped to me in June). Anyway, upgrade works fine despite a few quirks.

I must say I have to hand it to the Lumagen folks for publishing DIY cable info. I'm sure they get a few more support calls because of it but in the end it makes for a happy customer base. Also, it's great to get firmware upgrades containing fixes and added features at such a brisk pace. Many companies 1) require much convincing that a problem is real or a feature important and 2) move at a glacial pace in making upgrades available to customers. Lumagen gets it right by enabling customers to do their own upgrades and by making the upgrades immediately available on the Internet. Granted, they're not the only ones doing this but they're doing an outstanding job, IMO.

·
Registered
115 Posts
OK, pardon my ignorance. I have the vision pro. For the upgrade it says use a null serial cable? Is that just a regular serial cable or will it be marked as "null" when I go to comp usa or wherever?

·
Registered
499 Posts
It may say "null modem adapter" instead. Just make sure the cable has the right number of pins at each end. Some null modem adapters are 25 pin. If Comp USA doesn't have it then Radio Shack will. BTW: a null modem adapter is just a serial cable with some of the wires switched. Some places charge a premium for null modem adapters, like there is some magic going on in there that justifies a price premium (maybe it's the tiny modem inside ;).

·
Registered
107 Posts
Usually, cables have their "pin-out" printed somewhere on the packaging. To get a "Null Modem Cable" with DB-9 connectors make sure that

2 (Rx) and 3 (Tx) are crossed

7 (RTS) and 8 (CTS) are crossed

4 (DTR) and 6 (DSR) are crossed

1 (CD) is connected to either 4 or 7 on

the other side (Only one)

5 (Gnd) is connected to 5

Cheers,

François

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.