Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

This is my 1st post. I have been having a terrible problem with my replaytv with it getting stuck the "please wait a few moments" screen. It is out of warranty. So I finally cracked it open to upgrade to a larger drive and noticed something on the original drive. There is a burn mark on one of the 3 chips visible on the hard drive. The silicon is bubbled and the "leads" are burned as well. It is the attached picture. This is probably why my replaytv is dead.

So here is my question, is there a flaw inherrent in the cooling "mechanism" in the unit itself? Is there a way to greatly decrease the internal temp of this thing? Also, there is like a foam/paper'esque thing that covers the drive to prevent a fire or something? But it seems like it creates more heat?

So does anyone think i can get them to replace the drive since it was destroyed by a design flaw?

Anyway, any help with cooling would be great?

I believe that I am on track with the resolution to the problem. I downloaded the 30xx image and will put it on a new HD. Is this correct? I would appreciate advice here too.

Thanx in advance,

Eric

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Sounds like your on the right track, but good luck getting ReplayTV to replace that drive for you.

For starters, your warranty is up. Second, you cracked open the unit and broke the warranty seal. Finally, ReplayTV has changed hands twice since the 30XX units were made.

If you do a search for EZ-Bake oven (that is what the mechanism used for holding the hard drive is referred to around here), you'll find lots of posts. Most people use tie-wraps or other mechanisms and toss the EZ Bake oven. You might even want to put a fan in there, but that is a bit extreme for a one drive unit.

That HD might be under warranty from the manufacturer, so you may be able to send it to them instead.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.