AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have created an mpg file using rtvtools and have an mpeg which seems to run fine in WM9 but it will not load into my dvd authoring software, MyDVD V4 which came with my dvd drive. It tells me that the file is not a format it can import.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
232 Posts
It's just that MyDVD isn't a very good program. I used v4 and v5 deluxe, but they both have their problems with RTV mpegs. v5 was better, but I ran into sync issues. Also, I got tired of the wasted space by converting the audio to PCm or even AC3. Plus, it just introduces more chance for sync errors.

Try TMPGEnc DVD Author for a very simple interface, but a very powerful tool. It's not free, but you can try it for a month no charge.

-BS

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
I disagree that MyDVD 5 is not very good. I tried a couple of programs and settled on MyDVD 5. Am able to author MQ & HQ RTV mpegs without any video transcoding and no resulting sync problems, so personally I think it's great. Previously I had sync trouble with WinDVD Creator and Ulead MF2 for a couple of HQ recordings which is why I settled on MyDVD 5. I run the RTV mpegs through rtvedit/rtconvert & strip out commercials with Womble first and have had very good success with MyDVD 5. AC3 audio is a big bonus too (compatibility with more DVD players).

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have MyDVD 4.x and 5.X as well and have run into "is not a format it can import" problem a few time, even on home DV. If you have Womble, demux/remux the file may help, at least it did me a few times.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've had the same problem with MyDVD. I was able to burn HQ and MQ only by sending all clips into edit which opened up Arcsoft Showbiz. Then I chose create dvd and it started "producing' and burned the dvd's in something under a week and a half (ok about three hours) and I could live with that because where in the hell and I going. I then "upgraded to 4.5 and got some really lousy dvd's that were 'jumpy'(hope I'm not getting too technical) and unwatchable to the point that you had to take some prescription drugs to calm down. I deleted 4.5 and went back to 4.0 and I'm all better now but it still takes about three hours. I tried DVD labs and found it to be way over my head. I didn't have "buttons in menu one" (please keep that under your hat) and I was "out of memory" with one gig of Crucial PC3200 memory. I'm running a Athlon XP 2500+ so I don't think it's a question of horsepower. I have a lot of reading to do. I hate to say it but'gasp' I'm gonna have to learn somethin'.

P.S. The problem with MyDVD is that the 'burn' button is greyed out as soon as you import the movie.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Quote:
Am able to author MQ & HQ RTV mpegs without any video transcoding and no resulting sync problems
How are you doing this?

·
Registered
353 Posts
I've done standard and medium quality RTV files in MyDVD v4 and haven't run into this non-compliant video problem either. I use rtedit/rtvconvert, usually with one of the GUI's. The resultant files import right in no problem. The audio transcoding takes longer than I'd like, but I have yet to see it try to reencode an RTV file yet. Is it possible that you are doing something wrong with the RTVtools? I find evtedit for windows to be the most idiot proof way of using RTVtools. If I don't care to remove commercials I just go to "add all segments" in the edit pull down menu and then click the Generate new MPEG button. When that's done I click the Run RTVconvert button and when that's done the new filename_cvt.mpg file imports into MyDVD no problem.

My biggest issue with MyDVD is the inability to make chapters without chopping up the file. As a bonus FYI I often use MPEG2cut to cut up my file into it's chapter segments. Well, good luck.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrecks
How are you doing this?
1. RTV4Ks -> DVArchive download to laptop

2. rtvedit.exe & rtvconvert.exe to "clean up" mpeg. A few times on HQ recordings rtvtools gave some obscure errors so I used mpegtools fix-time.exe instead.

3. Womble Mpeg Video Wizard to cut out commercials.

4. Sonic MyDVD 5 to import mpeg & create chapter points & burn to CD.

I'm authored about 15 DVDs from RTV shows (about 6 of them HQ movies, the rest MQ shows & movies, including one 4 hour movie) using MyDVD 5 and no problems. Before this, one of the HQ recordings was having sync problems with Intervideo WinDVD Creator that came with laptop which is why I looked around for alternatives. Ulead MF2 demo had similar sync problems with it but Sonic MyDVD 5 demo worked fine which is why I ended up buying it. Have not run into sync problems yet with it and it only transcodes mpeg1-II audio, no video transcoding.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
just found a MAJOR problem with MyDVD 5. If you burn your DVD to folder it creates a directory called "sources\\Movie - " . This directory has a space at the end of the name! It cannot be deleted, moved, or anything! Anybody know of a way to get rid of such a directory? Anybody? :(

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Answered my own question:

1) open a command (dos) window and drill down to the offended directory.

2) Run dir /x to get short names for the entries

3) Run rmdir /s with the short name as the directory, problem solved.

Still a pain in the ...

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
jameskollar, I have not run into this. My guess is you are leaving the original DVArchive long name for the source mpeg when importing into MyDVD? Since I run through rtvtools first I always rename the DVA mpeg to a simple filename without spaces. By the time I import into MyDVD I use a very simple filename without spaces, so perhaps this is why I haven't seen the problem. I usually delete the whole MyDVD project once I have verified the resulting DVD is OK and have not had any trouble doing so.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
yeah, I do have spaces in the name. I'll try simpler names in the furture and see if that helps. Still, very bad behavior for a commercial program. That said, I still like the program A LOT! For now, it's my primary choice for DVD authoring.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.