AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 3 years ago I wired my basement HT for a ceiling mount projector. I was dumb and didn't do any research, so I made the horrible decision to A) wire my wall-to-ceiling outlets with a component-based wall plate system instead of HDMI, and then B) not bother to put it in a conduit for easy rewiring.

So now that I come to find my new AVR (a VSX-1120) will not output HDMI inputs thru the component-out connection, I have no way to get a signal to the new Epson 8350 I bought. I REALLY do not want to have to run a new cable thru my ceiling because that will be a major pita.

So I'm thinking I could just connect the HDMI out from my 1120 into a DAC like an HDfury and then plug that into the prewired component run I have to my 8350. (I know DAC's are usually used for older video equipment that don't have HDMI inputs, but I'm assuming I could use one in my situation as well.)

Any suggestions on good DACs? I don't need sound conversion obviously since its going from an AVR to a PJ. I just need a good quality DAC for the video signal. I've seen HDfury mentioned a few times, but they are out-of-stock right now on monoprice. And I didn't know if anything better and similarly priced has come out.

Any suggestions/help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ethan

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well at $300, that's quite a bit more than an HDfury. but wireless HDMI sounds good, I'll check to see if there's any more comparably priced alternatives.

anyone else have any suggestions?

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you try converting the AV Rx output from HDMI to component, watch out for content protection issues which will probably cut you off.

The RocketFish is good and should do the trick. It's not line of sight but non-line of site up to 10m so you can put it most anywhere. There's a new Vizio version coming very similar to the RocketFish which should be cheaper.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
I've been through variations of this problem (VGA, Component, HDMI, DVI, etc) at least 5 times in 3 different houses in the last 10 years

In every single case, when all was said and done I just bit the bullet and ran new cable, and wished I had just started out doing that. I know fishing cable though attics and walls is a major PITA. It's also the only 100% "right" solution and usually ends up being the cheapest, even if you end up paying some guy $50/hour to run it for you.

Just order some good, cheap cable from Monoprice, set aside a few hours, resign yourself to some dirty, frustrating work, and get it over with. Trust me, in the end you'll be happier than any wireless or conversion-based solution.

At least you already have a cable in place, one that's bigger than the one you are replacing it with. Hell, that's half the battle right there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts