AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought the new Panny TH37PA20UP 37" consumer EDTV plasma.

It truly has a fantastic picture on DVD's and when fed a 480p source. Directv looks very good for the most part. Very 'watchable' from 6-7 feet.

Unfortunately, I think I must have a defective unit because the upper left area of the screen has a distinct pinkish hue in about a 2" by 6" rectangular area. This is most noticeable with a light background such as white or gray. This exists regardless of the input source; i.e. component 1, (DVD); component 2, (Directv), or video 1, (Replaytv). In all inputs this discolouration is noticeable.

Like most of you, once I realized that this was there, I now find myself looking at it all of the time. The rest of my family also find it distracting.

I have used the 'Ferrite core' on the power cable to the plasma. I have no other antenna cables 'hooked up' to it, just two sets of component video cables, three sets of audio cables and one S-video cable; hence have no other ferrite cores in use except for the one on the power cable.

I also have made sure that the power cable is as far away from the video cables as possible. Further the power cable does not come close to the back of the unit except where it plugs in of course. Lastly, there are no metallic sources close to the plasma; e.g. speakers, etc.

Can anyone think of what might be causing this 'pinkish' discolouration in the top left hand corner of the screen, and what I might be able to do to correct it? I'm assuming that it is an electronic problem within the plasma itself, and hence believe that it needs to be exchanged.

Any help/thoughts appreciated.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'd suggest moving the plasma to a completely different location to test it. Perhaps make a VCR tape of a light colored image and move the VCR along with it and don't connect anything else so when you play it back you can be sure it is isolated from other devices. If it still comes up pinkish it probably is defective...

Chuck

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Similar problem, maybe...my new 37 inch Panny plasma screen is a noticeably lighter shade of gray on the first five inches from top to bottom on the right hand side of the screen. But in my case the problem disappeared after a few hours---and now wondering what, if anything to do about it. Otherwise, absolutely love the picture.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi Thebishman,

I beleived all Panasonic consumer and comercial has this issue. I myself have the comercial PWD5 and 6, I sold the 5 because because of this issue and now I own the 6 still have same issue, when I went to BB and Fry's to look at 42" consumer model I saw the same thing you saw. I will copy and paste your post and email to Panasonic tech. that I contact with and see what he say. Below is the email that Pan. tech respond to my complain.

We have no reports of this type of shading. As PDP displays are a rigid structure with no deflection yoke, purity adjustments, or dynamic convergence similar to CRT displays, shading of specific areas is impossible. The front glass coating is generally even throughout but may cause this slight effect. Check the ambient lighting conditions also for indirect reflections.

All colorimitry specifications are +\\- a few IRE within the central 25% screen area. Corners are not specified."

Rgds, Rsx.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jrock65
Do other Panny owners on this forum have this issue?
I haven't noticed anything like that on our 42PA20U.

·
Registered
88 Posts
jrock65,

I saw some post long time ago, I have to search for it and post later. To clearly see the problem I use the pwd6 as the PC monitor on the white screen I see the light pink on the upper and lower left corner. If any body have the same issue please post here. Thanks, Hotrsx.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by 90c4
Try a ground lifter "cheater plug" on your power cord.
Bad idea.

As this is a safety risk (slim as it might be). The so-called 'cheater plugs' are actually designed strickly to adapt a 3-prong plug to a 2-prong outlet. They come with a metal tab hanging down that when screwed into the cover plate mount the ground is re-directed to the neutral. If left dangling (ground lifted) and something goes wrong and shorts to the chassis of the device, then there is nowhere (path) to ground. You can potentially end up with a 'Hot' chassis, OUCH.

Ground loop problems generally exhibit themselves as horizontal lines scolling up the screen. The primary cause for a ground loop is bad cable grounding. Although, other causes can occur as well.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I agree. My suggestion was more to quickly rule out a ground problem, which could be addressed by other means.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I think you'll find from other posts that some, if not all plasmas, suffer from slight colour variations somewhere. My Pio 503 is slightly pink towards the top and bottom and slightly blue towards the centre. It's really only noticeable with a mostly white screen.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.