AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 4 replays, 3 are in use. Been a user for a few years. All of a sudden this week, all 3 of my players are missing recording of shows even though they are set up to record. To fix I must delete the reply channel and redo it, what cause this?

For instance, tonight it says right on the replay descritpion, to record between 9 and 11 WWF Wrestling yet it didn't record. When I forwarded to next week the program didn't have the RED DOTS. I deleted the current and redid it and the dots appeared. This is on all 3 players, I've had to reset all my programming. ANy ideas?

Brian

·
Registered
484 Posts
I think the guide gets screwed up sometimes... what you have described has happened to me a few times in the past. One way to fix it is to do a reset (but its not desirable as this will blow away all your shows). Usually over time it works itself out. Hopefully someone else will have a better solution for ya! Good luck!

·
Registered
675 Posts
This has also started happening to me, repeatedly. I can't trust the thing to record anymore; it fails at least 25% of the time.

Additionally, it seems (only lately) to start deleting shows that have been watched. In one case, it deleted a show that had been paused. This without any space issues.

Claude

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ClaudeD
This has also started happening to me, repeatedly. I can't trust the thing to record anymore; it fails at least 25% of the time.

Additionally, it seems (only lately) to start deleting shows that have been watched. In one case, it deleted a show that had been paused. This without any space issues.

Claude
Not normal at all. You should try unplugging it , wait a minute and plug it back in.

If still no good 777 zones "restore factory default"

Very unusual for sure.

·
Registered
334 Posts
The same thing happened to me awhile back. The problem was fixed after I did a manual net connect.

My theory is that for some reason the link between the Channelguide and the Replayguide is somehow corrupted.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Mikey & jvidalny,

The thing that is truly troubling is that this just started happening on both my Showstopper AND my ReplayTV. I've had them both for well over a year, and this behavior is new. It makes me suspect a download of bad software.

I assume that "restore factory default" loads the base OS, which is then upgraded during the nightly download? I'll go look at the FAQ. My devices have worked well enough (after an initial problem with spurious Macrovision "detection") that I don't spend much time in this forum. Maybe I'll have to start :)

Thanks for the "hard boot" recommendation. I'll try it on both.

Claude

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
If you think the guide is corrupted you can delete it through 243 "zones" and it will automatically dial in for a new one. That is less destructive than 777 "zones" which deletes all shows and forces you to run setup all over again. Good luck.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Claude, the "restore factory default" doesn't restore the original software, it just clears your setup, which forces you to do the initial quick-setup.

In my case, it only happened that one time about a month ago (on my 200GB upgraded RTV3060).

Basically, the unit stopped recording everything, and even though I had plenty of guaranteed shows in the ReplayGuide, no dots were shown in the ChannelGuide. After deleting and entering a couple of shows in the ReplayGuide, I decided to try a forced netconnect, and when it completed the red dots magically reappeared (I don't remember if I first cleared the ChannelGuide though).

Are you using original units, or have they been upgraded?

·
Registered
675 Posts
jvidalny,

They're original units. From a quick glance around, I must be one of the few people who hasn't tweaked/hacked their units. I guess I should find out more about this. I've mostly been devoting my time to my audio and video; my PVRs have been "set them and forget them."

It would be tempting to buy two of the new units, but I don't think it will go over well with my wife.

Claude

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
You're not alone in not hacking your units (is it me, or does that sound dirty). The only tweaking I've done is the IR blaster tweaks for the DCT-2000 digital cable box. There are undoubtedly many like us, but most of them have probably never even heard of this web site. The folks who post are hardly a representative sample of ReplayTV owners; since hacking the devices raises issues that the vendor clearly can't address, hackers are more likely to be posting here.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am still having the problem...Puzzling thing it's on all 3 of my units that are doing it..Sometimes I see the red dots when I check to make sure it's set to record, sometimes I don't. Then for some reason it doesn't record. It's happening alot.

Don't know what to do at this point.

Brian

·
Registered
395 Posts
Brian

Have you tried the 777 reset to factory defaults on one of your units yet?

It'll lose all shows and user info (phone #'s etc) but if all else fails it's worth a try. If that don't do it pulling the drive and reloading the os may be the next shot.

Tommy

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm having a similar problem, but not exactly the same. My replay won't record anything right now (if I tell it to record something, it simply won't -- no error message). I rebooted it, cleared the guide, and net connected, and now it won't even let me change the channel telling me the drive it out of space. This is definitely not the case:

[email protected]:~$ httpfs -a 10.0.3.10 volinfo Video

cap=38513410048

inuse=13476036608

Beyond that, there's only 2.25 hours of guaranteed recording (2 hrs at medium, 15 minutes at high), but that shouldn't be affecting the live TV buffer. Any ideas? I'm also about to call tech support, but I'm backing everything up beforehand in case they want a 777-zones, so thought I'd check here too. Thanks

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pmcneill
I'm having a similar problem, but not exactly the same. My replay won't record anything right now (if I tell it to record something, it simply won't -- no error message). I rebooted it, cleared the guide, and net connected, and now it won't even let me change the channel telling me the drive it out of space. This is definitely not the case:

[email protected]:~$ httpfs -a 10.0.3.10 volinfo Video

cap=38513410048

inuse=13476036608

Beyond that, there's only 2.25 hours of guaranteed recording (2 hrs at medium, 15 minutes at high), but that shouldn't be affecting the live TV buffer. Any ideas? I'm also about to call tech support, but I'm backing everything up beforehand in case they want a 777-zones, so thought I'd check here too. Thanks
777-zones is the only thing left to try.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Thanks Mikeyboy but fortunately it didn't come to that. I thought the reboot after clearing the channel guide was a hard reboot, but I was wrong. Unplugging it fixed it this time around, and the tech I talked to also suggested trying the Refresh Partitions button off 243-zones (something to try next time).

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
My experiense is "refresh partitions" is a conversation piece. I've tried it numerous times and nothing ever happens. I believe it is a carryover from the early replay days when the disks were formatted differently than they are today.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mikeyboy
I believe it is a carryover from the early replay days when the disks were formatted differently than they are today.
Mikeyboy is right, I seem to remember one of the ReplayGuys saying so a while back.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
4.1.1 will, if the MPEG partition isn't mounted offer to reformat it. If you agree, it calls File::FormatPartition("IDE:0", 1, 1024, 0, 0x40000, 0)

If the MPEG partition is mounted, it just tells you it doesn't need to be refreshed. Presumably it's only not mounted if it's corrupt beyond ordinary recovery.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jtl
4.1.1 will, if the MPEG partition isn't mounted offer to reformat it. If you agree, it calls File::FormatPartition("IDE:0", 1, 1024, 0, 0x40000, 0)

If the MPEG partition is mounted, it just tells you it doesn't need to be refreshed. Presumably it's only not mounted if it's corrupt beyond ordinary recovery.
Might be the older replays can do the format as well but it's so rare it's not common knowledge.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.