AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im running Vista Media center with an 8800 card. The video performance is excellent BTW. The problem I'm having is that there is a division of the video horizontally across the screen. During fast motion the top half of the screen has to catch up to the bottom half. During slow pans or still motion, it looks perfect. It's almost as tho it cant process that much video at a time. This happens on a Dual monitor setup. It happens on only one output at a time. If I change 1 output to be the Default display it happens on that output.

Im running at 1280 x 720 with the latest nvidia drivers.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Flan

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
What are the two monitors?

Is the second monitor in clone mode or in extended desktop mode?

What is the resolution and source of your video?

What NVIDIA driver release are you running?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im Running a Vizio VW42L LCD and a Sony KD-30XS955 in Clone mode at the same resolutions (1280x720 @60hz). I am running them both with HDMI cables out from the video card with HDMI --> DVI converters. Using Nvidia Driver 7.15.11.7519

In the drop down in the dual monitors pane, if the sony is listed first the Vizio has the problem, If the Vizio is listed first the Sony has the problem. So it happens on both outputs of the card.

I must have a resolution or refresh rate wrong.

Thanks for the help.

Flan

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Sounds like a tearing problem. I had the same with this card, using WMR9 rendering. I switched to Haali renderer and now all is sweet. Apparently EVR rendering is as good too in preventing tearing.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Same card, same problem. I'm not using media center, but I see the same thing in PDVD and Nero on SD material. If I change to a single display out of clone mode, the tearing goes away.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just Googled 'tearing' and Yes that is what is happening. I just didnt know the correct name for it.

So, What can I do about it.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Your only solution is to use video players that allow you to set the rendering type- overlay, vmr7, vmr9, vmr9 windowed, vmr9 windowless, vmr9 renderless, or EVR. You want vmr9 renderless or EVR. Other than that, you will have to use single display mode while watching video.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This happens on all video in Media center. Recorded, live, also movies using 'MyMovies'. What player is VMC using by default and how can I change it? What player can I download?

Thanks again!

Flan

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Walford,

I usually rip my DVDs using ANYDVD and play them in Media center with the 'MyMovies' plugin and It happens here as well. As well as live TV or recorded TV thru my 2 Hauppauge tuner cards through media center. I have not tried playing dvd's thru MC directly or MP. When I get home I try it. I guess this will determine if it's at the card end or at the player/encoder end?

Thanks

Flan

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, after some more testing, this tearing happens in VideoLan player, media Player and VMC. I noticed in the Nvidia control panel under 'Setup multiple displays, there is a dropdown to show which 2 displays you want to use and another showing which one windows is to use as Primary. Whichever one I set as primary, it looks perfect, no problems. The one not set as primary has the tearing.

So it's not a problem with either of the DVI outputs because by switching the primary display you can get it to happen on either output.

I'm baffled......:?

·
Registered
4,983 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mflanagan /forum/post/0

OK, after some more testing, this tearing happens in VideoLan player, media Player and VMC...

Any of those allow you to change the renderer? Did you set them to vmr9 renderless or EVR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mflanagan /forum/post/0

... It's almost as tho it cant process that much video at a time. This happens on a Dual monitor setup. It happens on only one output at a time...

Seems like you already answered your own question in the very first post. The card is either not fast enough to process video to both outputs, or they purposely designed it so that more/most of the processing is "focused" to the primary.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
But VMC uses EVR only. No way to change it.

I agree with hammerdown. If this only happens in clone mode it sounds like a driver bug or hardware limitation. What happens if you configure for "Extended Desktop" then start VMC on one display, start a video playing then drag it to the second display? Is the video displayed correctly on each display?

Wo0zy

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
I have an 8800GT with dual 1920x1200 displays in an extended configuration. There is no problem playing video in either screen or both at the same time. This includes 720p material, but I've never tested with both screens simultaneously displaying 1080p video.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbrit /forum/post/14261811

I have an 8800GT with dual 1920x1200 displays in an extended configuration. There is no problem playing video in either screen or both at the same time. This includes 720p material, but I've never tested with both screens simultaneously displaying 1080p video.

I dont have the need to play from both displays simultaneously. I usually have one display on and the other off although it's still plugged in via the DVI connection.

Im sure this card should be able to play both displays at the same time huh? I'll try the extended config. I just want to be sure I dont have a setting unchecked somewhere in the Nvidia control panel.

Flan

·
Registered
4,983 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mflanagan /forum/post/14263226

I dont have the need to play from both displays simultaneously. I usually have one display on and the other off although it's still plugged in via the DVI connection....

So what's the point of this thread? R&D

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdwn /forum/post/14264378

So what's the point of this thread? R&D

No what I mean is that I want to be able to watch 2 different displays (cloned) at different times. Right now one of my TV's (the one not primary) always has vertical tearing. I rarely have both TV's on at the same time, but I watch each TV about 50/50.

The card is a BFG 8800GT OC 512mb with the latest nvidia drivers (7.15.11.7519)

Thanks

Flan

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Agaqin do you have Vista SP1 installed.

You could try just using one VGA connection to your video and an inexpensive VGA splitter from the connection to connect to both displays?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts