AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Denon 1312 is hooked up via HDMI through EVGA GTX 570 to my PC. While gaming, like playing Battlefield 3, the sound is properly mapped between all 5 speakers and the receiver shows "PCM" and "MULTI CH IN". But when I watch something on Netflix or watch tv on my computer, the audio is not properly mapped and the display on the receiver still shows the same "PCM and MULTI CH IN". The main sounds and voice should be coming from the center but instead the sound is just converted to a weird stereo sound. For me to make it properly work, I have to go into the receivers menu, input settings and manually change the decoder from "Auto" to "DTS" , and then back to either "Auto" or "PCM"... and THEN the sound is properly mapped. The voice and majority of the audio comes through the center channel and surround sounds are properly played through the other channels. After returning from the menu, now the front panel display on the Denon displays "PL II Cinema", and I also have the option to switch to another surround mode, "DTS Neo", whereas before I only had surround options of "MULTI CH IN", and "MULTI CH STEREO".

I have to do this EVERY time I watch a movie or TV .. really annoying

Does anyone else have the same or similar problem while using their Denon with PC?

I am thinking of upgrading to the 1612 to get HDMI standby passthrough and some what better audio quality, especially with the audyssey calibration, but I'm afraid that I'm still going to have the same problem with the decoder not automatically switching.

·
Registered
28,746 Posts
Can your PC send bitstream audio to your receiver? Right now everything is being sent as PCM which means the PC is doing the decoding first.

PL II and DTS:Neo work on 2 channel sources so right now your PC is sending 2 channel PCM or stereo signals to the receiver.

If your PC can bitstream audio, then you just need to leave the receiver on Auto and it should decode whatever signal is being sent.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply afrogt.

i've read before that the gtx 570 does NOT bitstream and is that why this is happening?

It just doesn't make sense to me though. Since my video card does not bit stream (meaning that the PC does the decoding...right?), why would the receiver switch to the PL II / DTS decoder after i go into the menu and switch decoding from "Auto" to "DTS" and then back to "Auto" (meaning that the receiver is now doing the decoding.. ?) ?

i found this post and they mentioned some cheap (~$30) video cards that does bitstreaming

I was planning to upgrade to one of the GTX 6xx series sometime in the near future. Do you or anyone reading know if the 6xx series bitstream?. Just wanted to know because I'd rather just have a single card in my PC for the video and audio, and save the $30.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts