AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a Pioneer 4280 in August of 2007 and just two weeks ago it turned off and the red light began to blink twice. From all of the information I've been able to get, it is most likely the power supply board (roughly $500 fix so I've been told).

I purchased a CPS in-home warranty along with the TV and despite their extremely slow service things have been progressing fine; until today that is. Because the TV is a little over 2yrs old and discontinued, CPS is offering me an LG 42PQ10 (can't post a link) however at my own cost I am required to ship the Pioneer to them before I will receive the LG. Despite the fact that the LG is a complete turd when compared to the Pioneer, they aren't being very receptive to having the Pioneer fixed. According to the representative I spoke to today, they don't want to have to come out and fix the Pioneer in another 6 months.

My question to you all is: If I have them repair the TV, how likely is the PSU board to go out on me again? I may be willing to forfeit the remaining 18 months on my warranty if they will fix the TV. I just don't want the PSU to die in 3 months down the line with no recourse whatsoever.

I apologize ahead of time if this is on the wrong forum or the information is out there. I tried searching, but found little to help me.

·
Registered
11,677 Posts
The reason they are doing this is simple economics. They know the board is probably not going to fail in 3 years. It's the fact that the part plus labor is more costly than just giving you the LG tv at cost and what your tv is worth. The odds of that very same part failing within the next 3 years is very remote. It does happen, but statistically speaking, it falls out of their cost analysis range.

If they will only fix it by you signing a waiver that makes the warranty void, go for it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts