AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a brand new elite vsx32. got it hooked up and want to use HDMI but when I hook up the cable from the receiver out to any of the tv inputs (new Panasonic G series 50') I get a horrible feedback from my sub. I then noticed its slight but also through my speakers. so, now I got all this new stuff, and A worried if I damaged anything and B what the problem is....I tried different inputs and different cables. Any ideas? I would think out of the box I could plug this all in and it should work but I am having trouble. Any help would be appreciated, at a total loss

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
the problem is probably a 60 cycle hum created by a "ground loop". It usually is not the individual piece of equipment, it is hooking all the equipment together and one of the individual pieces has a different ground potential then the others.

In you setup, it is probably the cable TV feed coming into your house. At the outside of the house the incoming cable is grounded to "something", it most probably is NOT the common house electrical ground that the rest of the electrical system in you house grounds to.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks...still trouble shooting. so far tried different power cables, different HDMI cables, different surge protectors (panamax and other) and still doing it. I think its a bad tv, Its not so easy to test the TV though, I dont have so many 50" plasmas around....sorta at a loss.....really bummed

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

or, you could search for the "most likely problem", which is the one that m_vanmeter pointed out...

second most likely is that stuff is plugged into different circuits that are on a different leg of your box...

all the stuff you've tried (including thinking it's a "bad tv") are the least likely problems...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
after my whole day off lolly gagging with this thing i thought it was the sub cable because i used a different one and still got the hum. i hooked up the sub to the right at the receiver, using a different outlet and.....no hum. then realized i could try another plug on the same circuit as the old plug in the back of the room. sure enough hum was back! so, its probably not the cable. I dont have a way to check it for sure (although I could try an extention cord to the sub from the other circuit for a minute to use the cable I originally though was bad. If its the circuit, whats the answer, obviously an electrician but what can be done to resolve the problem so I can plug this thing into the other plug where the sub is out of the way? Is it possible that some of the equipment is defective and extremely sensitive to the ground problem or no?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts